Temp and Time for a brined turkey?

wvgg2000

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I brined a 22 lb turkey. Did what i thought was all the necessary steps (brined for 22 hours, dried the turkey after taking out of the brining solution, olive oil and rub on outside of the turkey), Set the temp for 350 on my Stampede and was expecting about 12-15 minutes per pound. What I got was a burnt skin and a turkey that was dried out after only 2 hours.

I'm guessing the temp was too high and brining a bird makes it cook much faster?

has anyone brined and smoked a 20 lb+ turkey? Any suggesstions in regards to time and temp?

Should I do two smaller turkeys instead on one 20 lb + one? If you do two at the same time, how does this affect the time?

Thanks!

thanks for the response and link! gonna give it another try before thanksgiving.

thanks for the response and link! gonna give it another try before thanksgiving.
Don't give up. I'm telling you it's worth it. I was never a big turkey fan growing up, always dry and plain. Then I tried deep fried turkeys that you now see everywhere, that was great stuff and a huge improvement. Then last year I smoked that turkey and I don't think I'll ever try another method - it really is that good.

In fact, I never stocked turkey in my freezer. Once a year was good enough for me, even deep fried. This year I already have two breasts in my freezer and plan on buying a couple more. I now crave turkey... smoked on my Rec Rec pellet grill of course. ;)

I've been brining my turkeys for over 10 years, usually in the 18-20lb range. Cooked in the oven they take 5-6 hours @325 to reach 165

Brined birds usually take a bit longer. Can't imagine a 22lber being done in 2 hours

This will be my first year doing a bird on the Bull, I'll be doing 2 10lb birds instead of one big one though

In my experience with Turkey on stick burners anything over 14 ish pounds tends to dry out. I always stuck to 12-14 at a temp of 275. Usually done within 3.5-4hrs. 14 pounds will feed 8 people.

For bringing 24hr max. After that your just drying out the protien. Which leads to the rub. Since you have the salt in the brine then leave the salt out or cut back on the amount of salt used in the rub. I leave it out. If your rub contains sugar that can cause burnt protien as well if cooking at high heat. Just my 2 cents and experience..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadefarm
Back