Stampede Temperature probes

gilbertg

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So I’m in the tail end of an 8 hour rib cook. 30 minutes to go!! All of a sudden my temp probes are jumping all over the place. 199-157. I was at 199, then down to 180, then back up to 193, then to 157 and now it has settled in at 173. I tried udjusting location, but no difference.

I’m just wondering if anyone else is having that problem? I’m going to pull the ribs in 30 minutes anyway, just annoying.

So I’m in the tail end of an 8 hour rib cook. 30 minutes to go!! All of a sudden my temp probes are jumping all over the place. 199-157. I was at 199, then down to 180, then back up to 193, then to 157 and now it has settled in at 173. I tried udjusting location, but no difference.

I’m just wondering if anyone else is having that problem? I’m going to pull the ribs in 30 minutes anyway, just annoying.
both probes are is it just one? I haven't had that issue yet, but i have back up thermpros in that event!

both probes are is it just one? I haven't had that issue yet, but i have back up thermpros in that event!
It was definitely both probes. I had pulled them out of the ribs and reset them after saucing the ribs. Everything was fine for the first 20 minutes, then they went haywire. I found one was sticking out of the meat, so I moved it. That one never went above 157. The other was the one that was bouncing.

Tough to put probes into ribs and be effective due to the proximity of the bones and the fact the area of meat the probes are in are very small, and as the meat cooks and shrinks moves the probes. I have always found the bend and pull away visuals much better to determine where my rib cooks are at.
I am probably wrong with my thoughts on using probes during a rib cook, so others might have a better thought.

Tough to put probes into ribs and be effective due to the proximity of the bones and the fact the area of meat the probes are in are very small, and as the meat cooks and shrinks moves the probes. I have always found the bend and pull away visuals much better to determine where my rib cooks are at.
I am probably wrong with my thoughts on using probes during a rib cook, so others might have a better thought.
Thanks. Yeah, it was really just to kind of verify where they were. It was just strange that they were all over the place.

Probe placement in ribs is tough. As the meat shrinks, more probe can be closer to the surface of the meat causing temp jumping. Do you see that problem when the probe is in a larger piece of protein, like a roast or butt? ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back