Tight grained Beef for Machine Slicing

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
We're going on a few days of vacation and have a family member sitting our house/dog. Unfortunately, our old dog needs lots of meds, 5 pills to be exact, plus some prescription probiotics. That would not be a problem if it were a Labrador or other voracious eater. But, he's an English Pointer and is a finicky eater with little drive to eat. So, we have to resort to all kinds of food enticements. What seems to be pretty consistent is his taste for beef.

So, I'm thinking we equip the fridge with some sliced beef that I've cooked. He seems to reject deli counter lunch meat beef.

My question is: what cut of beef is good for thin slicing and will hold together for wrapping pills? Toughness isn't an issue.

We're going on a few days of vacation and have a family member sitting our house/dog. Unfortunately, our old dog needs lots of meds, 5 pills to be exact, plus some prescription probiotics. That would not be a problem if it were a Labrador or other voracious eater. But, he's an English Pointer and is a finicky eater with little drive to eat. So, we have to resort to all kinds of food enticements. What seems to be pretty consistent is his taste for beef.

So, I'm thinking we equip the fridge with some sliced beef that I've cooked. He seems to reject deli counter lunch meat beef.

My question is: what cut of beef is good for thin slicing and will hold together for wrapping pills? Toughness isn't an issue.
Botton round rump roast comes immediately to mind. It would have decent flavor and could be sliced thinly after roasting.

However, have you tried “pill pockets?” They are available at pet stores like PetSmart and Petco. And they do come in different flavors. When we had an ailing dog, we started feeding her empty pill pockets as treats. After a couple of days, we started slipping ther medications in and she never refused them.

Botton round rump roast comes immediately to mind. It would have decent flavor and could be sliced thinly after roasting.

However, have you tried “pill pockets?” They are available at pet stores like PetSmart and Petco. And they do come in different flavors. When we had an ailing dog, we started feeding her empty pill pockets as treats. After a couple of days, we started slipping ther medications in and she never refused them.
Jim,
He'll spit out a pill pocket. We tried the chicken and beef. Neither worked with him. We had other dogs that would eat those like candy. Real beef seems to work 80% of the time. If it doesn't work, sometimes cheddar cheese works, sometimes not. Sometimes Kerrygold butter works, but not regular butter. My brisket worked yesterday. Some wagyu steak bits worked a few days ago.

Failing all else, in a pinch, I just pry open his huge mouth and toss them in, close his mouth, hold his nose high and block his nostrils, while rubbing his throat. But our niece probably isn't all that comfortable prying a 75 lb dogs mouth open and sticking her hand halfway down his throat, although he is a mellow dude and would never bite down.

Jim,
He'll spit out a pill pocket. We tried the chicken and beef. Neither worked with him. We had other dogs that would eat those like candy. Real beef seems to work 80% of the time. If it doesn't work, sometimes cheddar cheese works, sometimes not. Sometimes Kerrygold butter works, but not regular butter. My brisket worked yesterday. Some wagyu steak bits worked a few days ago.

Failing all else, in a pinch, I just pry open his huge mouth and toss them in, close his mouth, hold his nose high and block his nostrils, while rubbing his throat. But our niece probably isn't all that comfortable prying a 75 lb dogs mouth open and sticking her hand halfway down his throat, although he is a mellow dude and would never bite down.
That you care so much for your ailing dog speaks volumes about your character. We are dog lovers as well and have twice been through situations where a dog was ailing. It is not an easy situation to deal with. My wife and I extend our compliments to you for your obvious caring.

That you care so much for your ailing dog speaks volumes about your character. We are dog lovers as well and have twice been through situations where a dog was ailing. It is not an easy situation to deal with. My wife and I extend our compliments to you for your obvious caring.
He's family. He's my hunting buddy.
DSC_4359 cropped.JPG

I had really good success with pre-marinated tri tip that I smoked for a bit and then roasted to medium rare. As mentioned previously, my wife still calls tri tip "dog food" because I was cooking at least one tri tip a week for the sole purpose of getting our 17 year old dog to eat.

Is Carl Buddig shaved meats available in your area? They are prepackaged deli type meats.

Mine is stubborn too, I discovered cream cheese is so sticky that she will take that and eat whatever I roll up in the ball of it. She's an old gal at 13 years now, so sometimes have to choke it down her throat. I hate doing, but sometimes need to resort to this.

The closest I found to bottom rump at costco was a Watermelon roast. Looks lean and "stout". I cooked it at 275 to 150 internal. It's chilling down in the fridge now. It should slice nicely.

The closest I found to bottom rump at costco was a Watermelon roast. Looks lean and "stout". I cooked it at 275 to 150 internal. It's chilling down in the fridge now. It should slice nicely.
That should work just fine...if...you got it seasoned to his liking. ;) Better do a trial run or two before you head out. Hoping for the best.

I’ve got nothing to offer but my prayers that you will find a solution so you don’t have to worry during your time away. Jim6820 hit close to my suggestion. Rub some Wagyu tallow on the protein and see if that works. Especially if you heat it up with some bacon drippings, its like a gourmet meal for some pets. Those furry family members will get you every time, right in the only soft spot we have, our hearts. Good luck.

I’ve got nothing to offer but my prayers that you will find a solution so you don’t have to worry during your time away. Jim6820 hit close to my suggestion. Rub some Wagyu tallow on the protein and see if that works. Especially if you heat it up with some bacon drippings, its like a gourmet meal for some pets. Those furry family members will get you every time, right in the only soft spot we have, our hearts. Good luck.
SZ, ah but you did offer something great. I have some wagyu tallow and will give it a try before we leave in a few days. Thank you.

Jim, got half the roast hand sliced with my brisket knife. Will finish up today after stropping the knife. Thanks again.
20230504_060048.jpg
20230503_080339.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back