Stampede Traeger Pellets

Marshall

Military Veteran
I have two 5 gallon buckets of Traeger pellets left over from when I had a PitBoss Copperhead vertical smoker. They appear to be in good shape but some of the pellets seem a little long to me. I don't want to run the risk of jamming my auger on the 590 so;

Has anyone had issues with Traeger pellets using in the 590?

I will be ordering my 590 tomorrow and I need to know if I should order pellets too and how much.

I have no qualms about dumping the Traeger pellets if that is the best move.

Thanks

If it was me, I would find a local source for Bear Mountain, Lumberjack or CookinPellets. I have been unimpressed with the Recteq pellets. And, I haven’t been impressed with Traeger pellets either.

Here’s a thread on the forum discussing pellet choices: https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/pellets…my-observations….6747/ Good information there, mixed with a strong dose of personal preferences. :rolleyes:

Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain and that is what I plan to use the most. Maybe I'll just skip on the RecTeq pellets and Traeger.

Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain and that is what I plan to use the most. Maybe I'll just skip on the RecTeq pellets and Traeger.
You might want to check the Traeger pellets on how easily the long ones snap. If they do so relatively easily, they probably won't be a problem.

One of my issues with the Recteq pellets has been the number of long ones (some up tp 2") that I found and the fact that they didn't snap very easily.

I have never used Traeger pellets.....a few reasons. A big one is the price. They are WAY WAY over priced. Another reason is I've never really heard many good things about them. Most know or should know that in the past they were caught adding oils to their pellets for the "flavor". I doubt they do that now b/c I believe there was a lawsuit.

My rule of thumb is to try to get pellets around 50 cents a lb. Traegers usually run close to a $1 a lb.

Lumberjack - I've used them and no complaints. I hear good things about bear mountain but not really sold near me. Lately I've been using the Kirkland(Costco) pellets which sell a 40 lb bag for $14.99 I believe which is a great price and had no issues.

I tried several different brands in my 590 when I first purchased it. Did not find a whole lot of difference among them, although some had a bit more dust than I liked. I've pretty much settled on Bear Mountain for now. But not a Traeger fan so never used their pellets.

I have never used Traeger pellets.....a few reasons. A big one is the price. They are WAY WAY over priced. Another reason is I've never really heard many good things about them. Most know or should know that in the past they were caught adding oils to their pellets for the "flavor". I doubt they do that now b/c I believe there was a lawsuit.

My rule of thumb is to try to get pellets around 50 cents a lb. Traegers usually run close to a $1 a lb.

Lumberjack - I've used them and no complaints. I hear good things about bear mountain but not really sold near me. Lately I've been using the Kirkland(Costco) pellets which sell a 40 lb bag for $14.99 I believe which is a great price and had no issues.
I tried the Costco pellets. Big fan of Costco meats. The pellets were too long and did cause bridging. Threw out the rest and won’t buy again.

I have two 5 gallon buckets of Traeger pellets left over from when I had a PitBoss Copperhead vertical smoker. They appear to be in good shape but some of the pellets seem a little long to me. I don't want to run the risk of jamming my auger on the 590 so;

Has anyone had issues with Traeger pellets using in the 590?

I will be ordering my 590 tomorrow and I need to know if I should order pellets too and how much.

I have no qualms about dumping the Traeger pellets if that is the best move.

Thanks
I’ve used Traeger, RecTeq, CookinPellets, Pit Boss, and Kirkland Signature pellets in my RT-700 at one time or another. I’ve never had an auger jam. That’s not to say other people haven’t as reading various posts in this forum indicates some folks have had problems with pellets at one time or another. I haven’t been convinced by anyone that any particular brand won’t work. Many of us have preferred pellets for varied reasons. I’m usually after a particular flavor or burn efficiency. Traeger does have some good flavors.

I’d hate to see you not use perfectly good pellets if they’re in the good condition you say they are.

Another upvote for Costco pellets :)(y)

I have heard the long pellets bridge, then snap in my 700. Never any jams though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back