Bull Turning off the auger

Bporthole

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey guys,

I’m new to the pellet grill amazingness. Just got my bull. I was talking with my brother yesterday (who is a die hard Traeger owner). We were talking about his 3-2-1 ribs he was doing. He mentioned that he puts the ribs in his house oven during the 2 hour wrapped leg of this method. He said he doesn’t like to waste the pellets during that time because no smoke flavor would be getting on them anyways. This makes sense to me. The bull is said to use a pound per hour, so this could begin to add up fast... my question is, will it hurt anything to turn the auger off during the 2 hour leg so it won’t be feeding the pellets during this time? Please let me know what all you pros think.

Pellets aren't very expensive. To me it sounds like a hassle just save a dollar or so. But if that's what you wanted to do, you could certainly turn the grill off for a few hours. Probably wouldn't take much time to get it back to temp for that last hour of cooking.

I agree with TimM. To me it is not worth the hassle. It means you are heating up your kitchen just to save some pellets. Something you might consider is just not wrapping your ribs. I do not wrap anymore and find I get as good if not better results.

To me, turning the auger off would be the same as turning the grill off. Yes, no auger turning means no pellet use. Why not just unplug it?

Hey guys,

I’m new to the pellet grill amazingness. Just got my bull. I was talking with my brother yesterday (who is a die hard Traeger owner). We were talking about his 3-2-1 ribs he was doing. He mentioned that he puts the ribs in his house oven during the 2 hour wrapped leg of this method. He said he doesn’t like to waste the pellets during that time because no smoke flavor would be getting on them anyways. This makes sense to me. The bull is said to use a pound per hour, so this could begin to add up fast... my question is, will it hurt anything to turn the auger off during the 2 hour leg so it won’t be feeding the pellets during this time? Please let me know what all you pros think.
I agree with the no wrap. I rarely wrap my ribs. They seem to get better bark and easier to control the "bite" left in them. I would leave it on throughout the cook. Have fun. ??

Turning off the auger equates to turning off the grill. Not feeding pellets means no heat. If you switch from grill to oven and then back to grill, you'd wind up burning extra pellets getting the grill back up to temp. Not worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
So instead of always following a method try several variants until you find the one you love. I never wrap, mostly thats because i dont care for the steamed / boiled texture the meat takes on. I will use foil at times but leaving it open and as a juice catch. If you insist on wrapping try butcher paper, it finishes in the middle between foiled and not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrq202
Back