RT-1250 Upgraded from the 590 —> 1250

yamamatt65

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
After having the 590 for a couple of months I decided to jump to the 1250. Took advantage of the Christmas discount and it was shipped via SEFL. They were actually on point with the delivery / communication and the box and grill were in good shape. I was able to get it unboxed and assembled by myself, although standing it up was a b***ch. Here’s a few pics. I’m a “horns down” kind of guy.

Attachments

• 07BF4638-77D8-45D2-A7F4-1D6C5214275F.jpeg
    07BF4638-77D8-45D2-A7F4-1D6C5214275F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 261
  • 99A096EF-580D-4E73-B2B6-1DE1B524ADAE.jpeg
    99A096EF-580D-4E73-B2B6-1DE1B524ADAE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 143
  • 04E97CA3-0A00-4780-BE2B-0E3B457BA3E2.jpeg
    04E97CA3-0A00-4780-BE2B-0E3B457BA3E2.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 143
  • 46666CF8-40BB-4DA2-A2F7-2BEB1B21A93C.jpeg
    46666CF8-40BB-4DA2-A2F7-2BEB1B21A93C.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 142
After having the 590 for a couple of months I decided to jump to the 1250. Took advantage of the Christmas discount and it was shipped via SEFL. They were actually on point with the delivery / communication and the box and grill were in good shape. I was able to get it unboxed and assembled by myself, although standing it up was a b***ch. Here’s a few pics. I’m a “horns down” kind of guy.
Nice, congratulations! I need a 1250 :)

Geeze, now I have to upgrade. They were so good working with me on the phone, Recteq has a customer for life.

How do you like the 1250 so far? I think that stack makes a big difference in the flow of the smoke.

I was a tire kicker for years thinking about the 700. Put it in my shopping cart multiple times with all of the doo-dads. When the 1250 came out with most of the stuff I wanted like the shelf, cast iron deflector, increased RPM auger, etc., it was a "Buy It Now" moment. I have zero regrets as the thing heats up so quickly, maintains temps very well, has had no WiFi issues, and just cooks food well without the typical smoking "care and feeding". My son in law and another friend have Trailblazers. Both warned about hot spots, biscuit tests, etc. I have no discernable hot spots or other smoking/grilling dilemmas. The thing just works reliably every single cook...except of course Recteq app notifications (which were eliminated thanks to the good people at Thermoworks).

The smoke flow, particularly after I added the Lavalock tape to the lid, is picture perfect with light gray and frankly flavorful smoke coming out of the stack gracefully and consistently for the duration of my cooks.

How do you like the 1250 so far? I think that stack makes a big difference in the flow of the smoke.
I love it. I’m 100% sold on it. To be honest, I’ve been a Weber guy for years. I own Weber kettles, the performer, gasser, and the smokey mountain. The 22” WSM has been my workhorse smoker and I never wanted to admit anything short of an expensive offset could compete, but I think I like the 1250 better. I’m actually impressed with the smoke it puts out. My RT-590 put out awesome food too, so not sure if the smokestack on the 700 and 1250 makes a huge difference. I think the fan + the exhaust replicates an offset in some ways.

I was a tire kicker for years thinking about the 700. Put it in my shopping cart multiple times with all of the doo-dads. When the 1250 came out with most of the stuff I wanted like the shelf, cast iron deflector, increased RPM auger, etc., it was a "Buy It Now" moment. I have zero regrets as the thing heats up so quickly, maintains temps very well, has had no WiFi issues, and just cooks food well without the typical smoking "care and feeding". My son in law and another friend have Trailblazers. Both warned about hot spots, biscuit tests, etc. I have no discernable hot spots or other smoking/grilling dilemmas. The thing just works reliably every single cook...except of course Recteq app notifications (which were eliminated thanks to the good people at Thermoworks).

The smoke flow, particularly after I added the Lavalock tape to the lid, is picture perfect with light gray and frankly flavorful smoke coming out of the stack gracefully and consistently for the duration of my cooks.
Would you mind posting a pick of the Lavalock placement. I just ordered a roll myself.

Thx!

Would you mind posting a pick of the Lavalock placement. I just ordered a roll myself.

Thx!
Here are pics of the lid and smokebox on my 700. I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

• 20210221_104753.jpg
    20210221_104753.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210221_104744.jpg
    20210221_104744.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 137

I get really good smoke flavor on my food after I did the lavalock tape on the lid. I do notice that whenever I open the lid for more than like 10 seconds, the 1250 overshoots temps by 30-50 degrees until it slowly comes down. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it's because I added the lavalock.

I don't have any discernable hot spots, but I have a cold spot on the left side near the wall. I filled up the 1250 with baby backs and every rib was coming up to temp pretty equally except for the one on the far left. By the time all the other ribs reached 195, the one on the far left was still stuck around 160.

@BNeal Here is a shot from my pastrami cook. I put the Lavalock tape around the entire perimeter of the lid. I think I am going to go back and do a better job (the tape contracted a bit over time and now I have some small gaps) and also maybe put a strip around the hopper lid as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 114
@BNeal Here is a shot from my pastrami cook. I put the Lavalock tape around the entire perimeter of the lid. I think I am going to go back and do a better job (the tape contracted a bit over time and now I have some small gaps) and also maybe put a strip around the hopper lid as well.
How did thamtpatrami come out? I have been thinking of trying to make my own pastrami as well

I was pretty pleased overall. I documented in detail Here It's definitely a commitment. Roughly 10 days from start to finish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back