Stampede Upgraded app

BigFish

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
So this morning I spatchcocked a chicken, dry rubbed, and put it in the refrigerator (to form a pellicle). I went to start the grill at dinner time with the app and it said I needed to update it, so I did. After the update I could no longer connect to my RT-590.

I called Recteq tech support and I must say, the first time I was disappointed. I explained to them nothing has changed on my end, except the app upgrade. So we went through the typical wifi troubleshooting (fairly straightforward - I'm a retired IT guy). Nothing worked with the first tech, so he escalated and told me I would get a call back.

At this point, I just put the chicken in the oven while waiting for the call back. They called me back around 45 minutes later and went through the same steps as the first tech. He said it was one of 2 things, blamed it on my network or I moved my grill. I explained to him my network hasn't changed and my grill is in the same spot, on my enclosed porch. Mind you, I told him pressing the wifi button on the grill was jenky and sometimes it would go into wifi setup mode, sometimes it wouldn't and I had to unplug the grill to reboot. I even moved a network node on top of my hopper. Nothing. So he had me grab another phone and use it as a hotspot and stand at the grill with my Pixel 7 Pro and the hotspot Iphone. Tried to connect and sure enough it connected.

Realistically, I couldn't tie up my girlfriend's Iphone as a hotspot everytime I want to grill, so I tried connected to my network directly again and would not connect. By this time, tech support said it was my network. Again, I told him nothing has changed except for the app upgrade. I suggested that maybe the controller wifi didn't like the mesh network after the app update or something it didn't like on my Android Pixel phone after the update.

Sorry for being long winded, but anyone else having connection issues after this last July update?

I changed my provider this week and went to change my Rectec WiFi connection tonight. When I opened the app it said I needed to update. I took a deep breath not knowing how that was going to go but I have to say it went super smooth. I’m on iOS so that may be the difference.

I don’t know why support can’t ever admit that perhaps their app may have problems. They’ve had some doozies in the past. I will say the app is one area where they seem to be putting some effort since the outside money has inserted itself. Overall it has improved IMO. I just wish they could admit that sometimes THEY are the problem, not the customer.

I changed my provider this week and went to change my Rectec WiFi connection tonight. When I opened the app it said I needed to update. I took a deep breath not knowing how that was going to go but I have to say it went super smooth. I’m on iOS so that may be the difference.

I don’t know why support can’t ever admit that perhaps their app may have problems. They’ve had some doozies in the past. I will say the app is one area where they seem to be putting some effort since the outside money has inserted itself. Overall it has improved IMO. I just wish they could admit that sometimes THEY are the problem, not the customer.
Wasn't really looking to blame (as he was doing), we just wanted dinner. Thing was, he was real cocky on the phone too. I had initially had problems with the RT-590 and after a week, they replaced it. They were very nice and I didn't mind working with them, but this time I was so disappointed.

I’ve had some really good interactions but a couple of bad ones (the latest interactions). Same they we’re really cocky. Ask for someone else if you need to call them again. They do have some good reps.

At this point, I just put the chicken in the oven while waiting for the call back.
Just so you know, you don't have to use the app to use the grill, those button things on the front panel/display will provide the same basic functions as the app, just saying... :unsure:
I rarely use the app if I'm doing a shorter cook, i.e. chicken.

I would try recycling the your whole(router/wi fi) network and see if that helps. Maybe the cache needs to cleared....

Just so you know, you don't have to use the app to use the grill, those button things on the front panel/display will provide the same basic functions as the app, just saying... :unsure:
I rarely use the app if I'm doing a shorter cook, i.e. chicken.
Thank you, yes, I know. I didn't feel like getting out of the pool in the back to check the screen on the grill in the front.

The short of it, after the update, the RT-590 just doesn't want to connect to the mesh network directly. I can connect my android and RT-590 to my girlfriend's Iphone set up as a hotspot OR I can connect the RT-590 and my Android to an extender that connects to the mesh. The RT-590 just DOES NOT want to connect directly to the Mesh Network as it did before the latest update. Funny thing is, I have a security camera right above it on 2.4 GHZ that connects to the mesh fine (I did disconnect it to eliminate interference).

Another "WIFI tech" (the big guy) called me back and boy he was a narcissist. He just would not let me talk and had all the answers without a solution. I had to end the call with him, because we weren't getting anywhere. I wasn't expecting that from Recteq, because my experiences with their tech support (non-WIFI related) has been stellar. Who knows, maybe it was a sub-contractor. Truth be told, I can just leave it connected to the WIFI extender and just wait and see if there are more Customers with this issue after that July 20 update.

My setup
Pixel 7 Pro
TP-Link Deco x-20 Mesh Network on 2.4 GHZ
Recteq software version 2.0.5 dated July 20. 2023
* All within the Recteq recommended WIFI range

The short of it, after the update, the RT-590 just doesn't want to connect to the mesh network directly. I can connect my android and RT-590 to my girlfriend's Iphone set up as a hotspot OR I can connect the RT-590 and my Android to an extender that connects to the mesh. The RT-590 just DOES NOT want to connect directly to the Mesh Network as it did before the latest update. Funny thing is, I have a security camera right above it on 2.4 GHZ that connects to the mesh fine (I did disconnect it to eliminate interference).

Another "WIFI tech" (the big guy) called me back and boy he was a narcissist. He just would not let me talk and had all the answers without a solution. I had to end the call with him, because we weren't getting anywhere. I wasn't expecting that from Recteq, because my experiences with their tech support (non-WIFI related) has been stellar. Who knows, maybe it was a sub-contractor. Truth be told, I can just leave it connected to the WIFI extender and just wait and see if there are more Customers with this issue after that July 20 update.

My setup
Pixel 7 Pro
TP-Link Deco x-20 Mesh Network on 2.4 GHZ
Recteq software version 2.0.5 dated July 20. 2023
* All within the Recteq recommended WIFI range

On my Recteq app when I select my grill, I select Duel-Band BLE , since I updated for the new 590.
I have little knowledge on this but ...

My connectivity has been without any issues at all.

IMG_3824.PNG

Hopefully you can get it figured out. Has to be some sort of setting on your router I would think. Your home router is going to be more configurable than a phone hot spot regardless of the OS.

Does your 590 have the dual band support(the newer ones) or have to separate out and connect to 2.4? Perhaps if you have a newer 590(and I'm not positive they have dual band support like the newer Bulls), you could combine the two (5.8 & 2.4) into one and try that way?

I'm an IT guy like you so something like this would drive me crazy so best of luck to you!

Edit: Just thought, sounds like you have devices connecting already to your 2.4 so that probably won't work. Like I have my garage door and home therometer connected to the 2.4 along with my Bull.

Thank you, yes, I know. I didn't feel like getting out of the pool in the back to check the screen on the grill in the front.
When you added the mesh upgrade, did you have to give the new network a new name and password? If so perhaps you have to use the new network name and password to connect. I find that I can use both the new and the old network separately to hookup. Of course my new mesh (eero) is stronger. BUT not being a true guru, I may be all wet. ???

When you added the mesh upgrade, did you have to give the new network a new name and password? If so perhaps you have to use the new network name and password to connect. I find that I can use both the new and the old network separately to hookup. Of course my new mesh (eero) is stronger. BUT not being a true guru, I may be all wet. ???
The mesh network is not an upgrade installed 2 years ago. I've used the 590 plenty of times on it with a direct connection without issue. I saw something in the app right before the upgrade that the upgrade pertained to a wifi upgrade. It's why I think it's not my network.

Hopefully you can get it figured out. Has to be some sort of setting on your router I would think. Your home router is going to be more configurable than a phone hot spot regardless of the OS.

Does your 590 have the dual band support(the newer ones) or have to separate out and connect to 2.4? Perhaps if you have a newer 590(and I'm not positive they have dual band support like the newer Bulls), you could combine the two (5.8 & 2.4) into one and try that way?

I'm an IT guy like you so something like this would drive me crazy so best of luck to you!

Edit: Just thought, sounds like you have devices connecting already to your 2.4 so that probably won't work. Like I have my garage door and home therometer connected to the 2.4 along with my Bull.
No dual band, the dual band model came out right after I bought the 2.4 ghz model.

The mesh network is not an upgrade installed 2 years ago. I've used the 590 plenty of times on it with a direct connection without issue. I saw something in the app right before the upgrade that the upgrade pertained to a wifi upgrade. It's why I think it's not my network.
Here’s the thing……..

If there has been nothing about your network that has changed, everything worked fine a week ago and the only thing that has changed was the App update, the problem ISN’T with your network.

It’s starting to drive me nuts seeing people say “try this/try that with your network”.

No, RT, find App designers that are smart enough to keep from trashing previously functional network communications with a new App.

Think about it. How many other computer/WiFi device manufacturers require a customer to re-configure/screw around with their network to get a (previously operational) piece of hardware running again, just because of an App update. Yeah, pretty much no one…..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back