Stampede Water in hopper?

Ricardo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This is the second time in a month after a rain where the pellets in the bottom auger feed of the hopper have gotten wet and turned to sawdust. It caused the auger to seize both times. The pellets in the hopper itself are fine, just at the auger feed part they got wet and expanded. I always keep the grill covered and it has never been wet when uncovered. First time it happened, I pulled out the auger to clear and then it was good. This 2nd time, support walked me to service mode and manually drove the auger that way -- it then moved and cleared itself. Support says that water in the hopper will roll down the sides and only affect the bottom - hence why my main hopper pellets were fine and just wet at the auger. I'm just confused at how water is getting in when the grill is always covered when not in use. Also, I'm considering trying some gasket material around the hopper lid. Any one else had experiences or insight to share? Thanks.

I am no expert, and there are others that might have more info. One thing I can think of, is it actually condensation that is dripping down the sides of the hopper? Do you live in a humid climate? Reason I point to this, back when I did cover my 680 many times after taking the cover off I would find several spots on the pit covered in condensation drips. I can't remember exactly where on the pit, but do recall seeing it in several spots. Probably not your issue, but if you are creating enough humidity under the cover it could possibly be a cause.

I am no expert, and there are others that might have more info. One thing I can think of, is it actually condensation that is dripping down the sides of the hopper? Do you live in a humid climate? Reason I point to this, back when I did cover my 680 many times after taking the cover off I would find several spots on the pit covered in condensation drips. I can't remember exactly where on the pit, but do recall seeing it in several spots. Probably not your issue, but if you are creating enough humidity under the cover it could possibly be a cause.

That's a good thought. We are a little humid here in summer (Nebraska, but not as bad as the SouthEast) but I've never seen a condensation drop on the surface of the grill body. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the hopper. If that's the case I don't know of a fix -- a hopper lid gasket could make that worse with no evaporation route.

That's a good thought. We are a little humid here in summer (Nebraska, but not as bad as the SouthEast) but I've never seen a condensation drop on the surface of the grill body. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the hopper. If that's the case I don't know of a fix -- a hopper lid gasket could make that worse with no evaporation route.
I ordered this for my hopper. Maybe they would work for you too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KJX1CGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had this issue with one of my grills before. I live in the south so humidity is always an issue. What I did was make some breathing ports in the cover to allow for evaporation.

I put through grommets in the cover. Like the ones on tarps. I also would remove the cover couple times a month just to let the sun dry things out..

Weatherstrip the hopper lid. 1/2" foam strip does the trick. Apply to the lid and it seals really well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back