Stampede What do you think about this Rec Tec Stampede clone?

Mike

Kind of good admin
Community Leader
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Looks like Home Depot is selling a Rec Tec Stampede pellet grill clone, called the Lone Star Chef. That's build is nearly 100% identical - even the user manual is a direct copy of the Rec Tec Stampede.

home depot link
manual link

Rumor has it, this is actually made by Rec Tec under a different name.

What are your thoughts on this? Which one would you most likely buy?
lonestar-chef-pellet-grills-rec-tec-stampede-clone.jpg

Looks like Rec Tec did some type of deal to rebrand their product to sell at Home Depot. It's using there old non wifi PID controller.

I saw something similar somewhere else on the web - the 'rebranded' ones were actually more expensive though. SO... even if they were the same price, I'd probably go right through Rec-Tec instead - I'd rather give them my money and if there were any problems, deal with them instead of a big box store. Their customer service is kinda legendary.

Yes, I did notice a company named LoneStar Chef is selling the two models that resemble Rec Tec Stampede and Mini. I was very curious so I did get the LoneStar's 1160 Model from Home Depot. Even though the manual is identical and most of the specs are. It's no Rec Tec. haha. They lowered the quality with the cooking chamber It's a bit thin and the heat shield and Grease tray is low quality as well. The PID controller is good though with a meat probe. The Price point now is over 900.00. Not worth it.

Just joined this evening and found this thread while nosing about. Took the link to HD and saw the Lonestar was discontinued, but, in the options/suggestions was another link to the Lifesmart brand which is the same item. Probably driven by some legal action with the Lonestar name. Anyway, same pics (including the Lonestar logo), same description, same FAQs, and same customer reviews. Here's a link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifesma...PIPHorizontal3_rr-_-305937973-_-305938077-_-N

Agreed it looks like an all steel version of the 590. Dual full width shelves looks nice, and helps the sq. in. bragging rights, though they don't look to be stainless either. 1 year warrantee, not 2. I wouldn't be surprised if RT is involved to some degree or all in, using a different name keeps from cannibalizing their customer base, improves ROI on design dollars, allows for lowering material costs so they can compete at the lower price point for those that can't/won't step up to the higher quality.

I noticed that the Lone Star brand had been discontinued some time ago when my dad was looking at grills a couple months ago. Didn't realize they just released the same grill under a new name - nice find.

There are a couple sellers on Amazon who offer it as well with a current price of approx. $725 delivered and no sales tax which Amazon direct charges. Quite a swing in pricing. First thought is perhaps tariff consequences but then that would impact RT as well. They're touting a "big announcement" in February...…………..moving production to US?

Mike, and anyone else interested, HD now shows this to be "out of stock" and the listing on Amazon has disappeared. Looks like maybe somebody won a battle if there was one.

I do like the second shelf on the knock off. I added angle brackets on my mini for a second shelf, not sure I want to do it with the stampede?

Well, it may still be alive. I stumbled across this ad today. Touts the Lifesmart brand name again, but the pics show Lone Star Chef, similar to the previous experience with HD. No stainless, and doesn't appear to have a PID controller. One year warrantee which now is inferior to the 4 year of the Stampede. But the $480 price might attract some just the same.

Also looks like HD has it active again on their site for $822 bucks though they tout PID.........…weird pricing spread still.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back