4 Baby Back Ribs on a 590

Dadbo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
  2. Stampede
Good afternoon, All. New to my 590 and Bullseye in the last 30 days or so. Have made multiple items with success using the knowledge gained here from pouring over the vast posts available for help. To my question to the group. Is there a way to smoke 4 racks of baby back ribs on the 590? I have a rib rack but realize if they are wrapped at some point, standing on end is likely not really acceptable. Or is it? Anyone have a slick way to add a second shelf perhaps using a basic cooling rack? Have searched but found nothing.

My past cooks with ribs have all been using sous vide and finishing in the oven or grill. Want to get past that now that I have the grills/smokers. I plan to do 180 for 3 hrs, 2 hrs 225 and 1 hr 180 this time. I may do the wrapped cook in the oven and the final back on the Stampede.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and also for any pointers you may share. And really to everyone for sharing all this great knowledge on this site.

Tom

Skip the wrap, eat earlier.
And 4 should fit on a 590, a little tight, but it fits. There are capacity threads if you search.
Just squish 'em in....

I haven’t tried to cook that much at once on mine, but I’ve always read that you should leave a little space so the heat and smoke will circulate?

I agree they should fit. I’ve done 6 racks flat on my 700 and your Stampede is only 6” narrower.

EB5C22D7-28E2-4A9B-A1B9-8140706E5860.jpeg

Thanks for your kind input on this. Didn’t think to place them front to back. Sorry for another question then. Is it best to trim them so there is no overhang of the drip tray? Me thinks grease in the bottom may be unwise.

That’s what I did when I loaded it up with 6. Normally I place three recks on a diagonal to keep everything over the drip pan. When I did the six I just trimmed the small end a little extra.

Is it best to trim them so there is no overhang of the drip tray? Me thinks grease in the bottom may be unwise.
In my experience - the grill is kind of like a self cleaning oven. Take it 500+ every once in a while.
I'm only in my 4th month of ownership - but I still see metal when I clean out the grill.
You could make it last 10 - 15 years taking every precaution ever uttered on the internet.... but go ahead - live a little.... :p

I have a Bull but your solution is somewhat easy. Use a rack and stack the ribs. The smoker is like a convection oven and the temps will be close as long as air can circulate. Another trick to remember is that once they are wrapped (if done properly)) you can stack them and they will continue to cook/ steam until it is time to unwrap and set the sauce for the final 35 minutes.

Thanks for all the valuable info! Will likely start them tomorrow around 10:30am for, hopefully, 5pm feast. I stressed to all those coming to dine, they are done when they are done! (Bring an extra cocktail or two was my suggestion). I may put together some smoked shotgun shells on the Bullseye to keep occupied.

The only thing I would suggest on your cook plans are to go with slightly higher temps or you may be looking at a very long cook. If I read your first post correctly you are planning on 180 for 3 hrs, 225 for two hours wrapped, then back down to 180 for the last hour. 180 is a pretty low temp for as much of the cook as you plan to use it. I don’t do ribs by the 3-2-1 method but I believe it is based on 225 the entire time. Going as low as you are planning may greatly increase the cook time. As long as everyone has enough cocktails maybe that isn’t an issue 😉.

The only thing I would suggest on your cook plans are to go with slightly higher temps or you may be looking at a very long cook. If I read your first post correctly you are planning on 180 for 3 hrs, 225 for two hours wrapped, then back down to 180 for the last hour. 180 is a pretty low temp for as much of the cook as you plan to use it. I don’t do ribs by the 3-2-1 method but I believe it is based on 225 the entire time. Going as low as you are planning may greatly increase the cook time. As long as everyone has enough cocktails maybe that isn’t an issue 😉.
Yes, I am a bit hesitant with these temps. Have been watching Harry Soo YouTube on ribs. That is where I came up with this. Perhaps I would have been wise of me to ask if any have used his method with success or not so much. And maybe I should be a bit more mainstream for this cook at 225 as you point out. Use his direction on a test rack in the near future for comparison.

I don’t recommend anything below 225F for more than an hour. Depending on the ribs/pig, you could be making pork jerky not actually breaking down the fats and connective tissues. I use the lower temps only if I want to enhance the smoke absorption but if you are already worrying, why add another variable. As far as the stress levels, there will always be tension, I‘ve done cooks for 40 people and it was as stressful as cooking 6 steaks for friends. Just take deep breaths and enjoy the ride.

Good afternoon, All. New to my 590 and Bullseye in the last 30 days or so. Have made multiple items with success using the knowledge gained here from pouring over the vast posts available for help. To my question to the group. Is there a way to smoke 4 racks of baby back ribs on the 590? I have a rib rack but realize if they are wrapped at some point, standing on end is likely not really acceptable. Or is it? Anyone have a slick way to add a second shelf perhaps using a basic cooling rack? Have searched but found nothing.

My past cooks with ribs have all been using sous vide and finishing in the oven or grill. Want to get past that now that I have the grills/smokers. I plan to do 180 for 3 hrs, 2 hrs 225 and 1 hr 180 this time. I may do the wrapped cook in the oven and the final back on the Stampede.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and also for any pointers you may share. And really to everyone for sharing all this great knowledge on this site.

Tom
I got a nice second rack from grillparts.com

SDSCSWarming Rack (Secondary Cooking Surface), Holland and Phoenix (Replaces OEM BHA3002)

You end up sacrificing space on the main (lower) rack but for some cooks it is a real bonus.

It is far better than the Recteq option.

Thank you all for your most valued input. I have my plan for tomorrow and look forward to some fun cooking in out SoCal 90+ heat! Will let you know how it all turned out.
I pray everyone has a great and safe time this Labor Day weekend and thankful as always for what we are blessed with.

Thank you all for your most valued input. I have my plan for tomorrow and look forward to some fun cooking in out SoCal 90+ heat! Will let you know how it all turned out.
I pray everyone has a great and safe time this Labor Day weekend and thankful as always for what we are blessed with.
Thanks and same to you. Enjoy your cook, familly, and friends. At the end of the ride, that‘s what counts most.

I got a nice second rack from grillparts.com

SDSCSWarming Rack (Secondary Cooking Surface), Holland and Phoenix (Replaces OEM BHA3002)

You end up sacrificing space on the main (lower) rack but for some cooks it is a real bonus.

It is far better than the Recteq option.
This rack looks like it would be a great addition for the grill, appreciate the direction for it. Price very reasonable too!

Tom
I’ve had 6 racks of BB on my 590. They were tight to begin with before they shrunk up a little then I had plenty of room to move around and I did wrap mine. Still plenty of room and they turned out perfect.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back