Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

glad to hear bud. you able to set feed rate at 15? i love the 3 rpm auger. i cook pizza most every friday. and the rapid heat up just makes mid week after work cooking a breeze

So, just when you thought it was over!

I had this great brainstorm on how to slow the auger motor down if you're unable to adjust the minimum feed rate low enough. Adjustable time delay relay. Now, we need a volunteer crazy enough to try it :)
download.jpg

perfect project for frankenstein lol. these grills are fun to mod
I was thinking about it but then I will have to upgrade the auger motor too.

If I try it will be the 680 or 700.

BTW, I used Frankenstein for cooking corn while I fought Bullseye fires.

lol you have a nice collection of grills. i thought i was a serious griller until i came here. i have 6 grills, only 2 full size, the others are small portable grills. some of you guys put me to shame. i need to do better

lol you have a nice collection of grills. i thought i was a serious griller until i came here. i have 6 grills, only 2 full size, the others are small portable grills. some of you guys put me to shame. i need to do better
I'm pretty much the same with 4 pellet grills, weber kettle, and weber gas.

That's why I joined the support group here. Remember....Rehab is for quitters ;)

i secretly really want a weber master touch kettle! i didn’t know we could admit that here. it would be a less often used grill for me. but i think it would be fun and teach me alot about air flow control
Cool thing with the Weber master touch is the accessories fit the Bullseye.

glad to hear bud. you able to set feed rate at 15? i love the 3 rpm auger. i cook pizza most every friday. and the rapid heat up just makes mid week after work cooking a breeze
It slipped my mind yesterday after work but today I get off early so I should have time to adjust it. That is if it doesnt slip my mind again. Of all the things Ive lost getting old my mind is what I miss most.

Minimum flow rate successfully set to 15. It’ll be a minute before I test the change though. I’m in grill mode now

i secretly really want a weber master touch kettle! i didn’t know we could admit that here. it would be a less often used grill for me. but i think it would be fun and teach me alot about air flow control
If you like the low and slow world the WSM is kinda cool if you like charcoal.

i was looking at the wsm this weekend also. its very nice. but low and slow for me will be done on the rec teq. i like that the kettle and bullseye are the same size. smart move for rec teq

If you like the low and slow world the WSM is kinda cool if you like charcoal.
I gave my WSM to my son in law after I got the RT-700. If you like to fiddle with vents, charcoal, wood, & water with vastly different cooking rates between the upper & lower grates, good luck. I found it much easier to convert my 22" Weber kettle to a smoker with a Smokenator insert.

I gave my WSM to my son in law after I got the RT-700. If you like to fiddle with vents, charcoal, wood, & water with vastly different cooking rates between the upper & lower grates, good luck. I found it much easier to convert my 22" Weber kettle to a smoker with a Smokenator insert.
Forgot about the Smokenator, it did the job.

Here is how I was going to reason it if mine didnt go down to the 15 for the fee rate. I figure that I grill a bunch more that I go on long smokes. Changing out the motor is a fast process so it wouldnt bother me to swap out motors depending on what Im doing. Long smoke = 2rpm motor, High temp grilling = 3rpm Beast. Of course since mine is new I dont have that issue, however, if it does become a problem Ill just swap them out.

It takes my Bull a good 35-45 minutes to get into the 450+ degree range. A little to slow for me and apparently many others.

What would be the cat’s meow would be if recteq would install the 3 rpm auger on the RT-700 Bull and have the controller “control” the rpm speed so that on low and slow cooks, the auger would operate at lower speed. And if you wanted some quick wings or sear a steak on ”max temp”, the auger would rip at 3 rpm. I guess the simpler solution was to program auger functions via time instead of varying auger rotations?

It takes my Bull a good 35-45 minutes to get into the 450+ degree range. A little to slow for me and apparently many others.

What would be the cat’s meow would be if recteq would install the 3 rpm auger on the RT-700 Bull and have the controller “control” the rpm speed so that on low and slow cooks, the auger would operate at lower speed. And if you wanted some quick wings or sear a steak on ”max temp”, the auger would rip at 3 rpm. I guess the simpler solution was to program auger functions via time instead of varying auger rotations?
See above. Time appears to be doable and least expensive.

Last edited:
So, just when you thought it was over!

I had this great brainstorm on how to slow the auger motor down if you're unable to adjust the minimum feed rate low enough. Adjustable time delay relay. Now, we need a volunteer crazy enough to try it :)
View attachment 10762
OK, so what are we trying to do here? Turn the auger off for a specific time period or stopping it from coming on when told to by the controller, by a specified time delay?

OK, so what are we trying to do here? Turn the auger off for a specific time period or stopping it from coming on when told to by the controller, by a specified time delay?
Yes, minimize auger run time to maintain lower smoking temps if controller can't. Unfortunately the relay won't do much for the final "prime" feed.

IMHO a 2.5 RPM auger is desirable but costly. After some thought, after buying the relay and butchering the wiring might as well spend the $99 and get the 2.5 auger.

Auger $49
Relay $20
Ship $10

Last edited:
if the new ones ship pre set to 30 and the older ones ship set to 60 or 65, can’t remember. and both work fine at those settings i would estimate that 65 is the new 30. i bet if your grill was set stock on 65, than 30 would result in a flame out. anyone with and old grill can test that even with the stock auger. if 30 flames out for you than the settings for those two different controllers are not going to be exactly the same. im not sure when they changed the feedrate numbers, maybe wifi? if anyone with an older controller test this, understand that the grill will keep pumping pellets into a flame less firepot and flood it. be sure to clean it out before restarting it!!!!!! that last part is very important!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g_morin
Back