Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

Unless I'm looking at the wrong site, it looks like they are sold out of their 3rpm motors now too, haha. Has anyone installed the 3rpm motor from smoke daddy in their 590?

Thanks
I have the Smoke Daddy 3 RPM in my 700. It took a little tinkering to install. Wires are shorter, and the auger had to be pushed in slightly to make the motor fit. The install requires the grill to be empty of pellets. Heats up to 500 in 15-20 minutes.

On a different note, I have had two issues this summer, and I’m not quite sure the cause. A few times I’ve experienced burn back, where the pellets in the auger tube start to smolder. It was bad enough on several occasions where billows of smoke were coming out from around the hopper lid. I initially thought that this was due to the fire pit being full of ash, or the pellets I had bought on clearance, as there was a lot of dust mixed in.

I’ve mostly been doing grilling temps, since I can do that quickly now, 400-450. After I’m done, I set it to 225 for 20-30minutes, before turning it off completely. Still got the burn back a few times.

Once those clearance pellets were gone and I tossed in a couple bags of Bear Mountain which is my go to brand, I’ve found the pellets that are dumped in at the end of shutdown smolder, even after keeping it at 225 for 20-30 minutes beforehand.

Not sure if it’s motor related, but never had these issues with the 2 RPM, even starting the shutdown sequence at high temps. Feed rate is set at 2.0

After seeing others complain about the new app screwing with feed rate, I checked the app which said 30 and wouldn't reduce it back to 20. Menu on the Bull said the same. Come to find out that trying to reduce it in the app changed it on the smoker to 30 as indicated in the app.

Just viewing the value didn't change it on the smoker but it's the wrong value. I wonder if future RT-700 will be back to not allowing the change?

Be warned that they're not letting it go low now in the app.

Edit: Android
I found and tried to install the 1.6.6 app version after deleting the 1.7.1 version. It installed but wouldn't let me sign in until I updated. This is the wrong moral compass to hang your hat on Recteq!

Man that’s some complete crap from rec tec to do. Wished I bought one when I had the chance.
between this and that cease and desist letter for Chad’s shelfs. Seems like they’re doing everything they can to force you to buy the 1250 instead of upgrading your 700.

Man that’s some complete crap from rec tec to do. Wished I bought one when I had the chance.
between this and that cease and desist letter for Chad’s shelfs. Seems like they’re doing everything they can to force you to buy the 1250 instead of upgrading your 700.
There's a new sheriff in town.

Hey, the 700 is a great grill and honestly, most of what is added to make the 1250 can be done yourself.

I am NOT going to buy a 1250. I already have one, more or less. :cool:

Cast Iron Heat Deflector? Nope, modded mine with 1/4" steel plate. Works great
Second Shelf? I bought the folding one. Prefer that over sliders. Easier cleaning on the inside of grill.
5Ghz WiFi? Don't need it, wouldn't use it.
Lid Drip Shield? Can be made for $20
3 RPM Motor? If RT won't sell you one, Pit Boss or Smoke Daddy will.
Switched outlet? Don't need it, but not hard to add.

Did I miss anything?

I really don't see how they have a leg to stand on with Chad. Hope he can get a lawyer to take a look IF they really sent him a cease and desist.

I obtained a 3rpm motor to help boost temps on my 590. Install went smooth, and everything is running great. One thing is that I've noticed a slight clicking noise coming from the auger that I never used to hear.

Anybody else run into this after installing BFG 2500 auger into their unit?

I obtained a 3rpm motor to help boost temps on my 590. Install went smooth, and everything is running great. One thing is that I've noticed a slight clicking noise coming from the auger that I never used to hear.

No

I didn’t but I think someone on here had something to that effect and it was the fan blade tapping something, worth a look see

I actually have been hearing that however I replaced mine when it was so new I didn’t know any different. I cant say for certain it isn’t the fan however for me it’s an intermittent clicking so I wouldn’t think it’s the fan but what do I know? I’d sure like to know what it is though.

I installed my 3 rpm auger today. Straightforward, took about 30 minutes, 15 of which were spent looking for and finally finding the clevis sheer pin which took off like a shot and flew 25 feet when I tapped it out. A miracle I found it.

85 to 350 takes about 12 minutes now.

I do hear the clicking (it didn’t before) and it’s not the fan.

Adding nothing worthwhile to the 3 RPM auger conversation today, other than I‘m running my unmodified RT-700 at Max today and this is what I’m seeing.

Attachments

• 1F4D08FC-D77A-4A72-AD09-25B6E409ECA1.jpeg
    1F4D08FC-D77A-4A72-AD09-25B6E409ECA1.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 73
630 is interesting. i will have to try that soon. grill may still limit itself to 600. i also noticed the feedrate is now fully adjustable in the new app update, can go down to 1.0 now

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back