Blackstone

BadgerFan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I see Blackstone has a smoker and griddle combo. I love that idea but not sure how their smokers are and I think they’re new to the smoker market. Anyone have one?

How about a link so we're all on the same page? I did a quick search and came up empty - too early for my Google-Fu to work....

I just took a job at Lowes in Phoenix and I saw it yesterday and checked it out a little bit and it looks really nice. Today, a guy was loading one up in his truck.

I just took a job at Lowes in Phoenix and I saw it yesterday and checked it out a little bit and it looks really nice. Today, a guy was loading one up in his truck.
I assumed you were in a colder climate! The wife is headed to Chandler for work next month-still deciding if I’m coming also. Wish I was there now-the Christmas light show at Phoenix Raceway is outstanding!

I assumed you were in a colder climate! The wife is headed to Chandler for work next month-still deciding if I’m coming also. Wish I was there now-the Christmas light show at Phoenix Raceway is outstanding!
Wisconsin, on the Minnesota border……20 minutes from St. Paul, 30 from Minneapolis.

Price? I can’t seem to find it listed on the Lowes website.
It’s on their website way at the bottom. Just google Blackstone. It’s $1199.

IMG_2073.png

Thanks. I was at my local Costco yesterday and checked the grill area, but they didn't have any there.

Is there a Phoenix, WI?
I lived in Wisconsin but moved to Phoenix at the end of October. Still have the place in Wisconsin.
Also, on the picture I included, it says “only at Lowes” Hope this clears up any confusion over where I live.

It is interesting to watch the price point of cookers continue to rise. I have owned several Blackstone devices and like their performance for specific tasks. But, when they hit the over $1k point I have to question the value. Unless they have gotten away from the inferior metals and rust problems, I don’t know that I am their target audience. Can‘t wait to see the reviews on this unit.

I paid $250 for a Blackstone on clearance. It's a nicer Culinary version with a fully enclosed cabinet and built in hood. The combo unit is interesting but I prefer separate cookers myself.

I have one of Blackstone's $100 griddles for my RV and at that price-point I like it a LOT. It needs side skirts as otherwise even a slight wind slows cooking performance dramatically but magnetic "as needed" ones are available through Spamazon for cheap money. It's my "one cooking device tool" for the RV and does everything I want and need in that regard.

But -- while the griddle surface itself is cast iron and thus nearly indestructible with reasonable use and seasoning (just don't drop it, obviously) the rest of it is cheap bent metal. For $100 and with it living inside the RV when not in actual use I don't care as its half the price of a crappy bent-metal propane camp stove, so it wins big even if in five years I have to buy another one. For $1,200 and something that will sit covered on my deck when not in use I'm going to care a lot, and the obvious question is whether there will be durability problems in places that matter, such as the feed, temperature control and firepot along with general deterioration of the metal its made out of.

One of the reasons I bought the Recteq is that plenty of the other pellet smoker/grills I have seen did not impress when I started looking inside at the various parts and pieces, while this one did reasonably impress me. Perfect, no, but a nice balance between cost and quality.

tickerguy,

I agree on the B-stone. I have the Tailgater for my road trips and it is the perfect solution for grilling, using a pot or wok while simultaneously griddling. I thought all B-stones had rolled steel, which model has the cast iron and is transportable? That might be my camping companion. I made my own wind deflectors but don’t use them often since I added a fully adjustable regulator and can melt metal if needed. Interestingly, I can now achieve temps in excess of 700F and it only takes a few minutes. I don’t recommend those temps on the griddle but when I really want to sear a protein on the “pot“ side it makes a piece of cast iron sing like a well tuned opera star, hehe.

If you're serious about griddling (is that even a word?), I doubt you'll be happy with a 22" surface. I have a 30" built-in and I am kicking myself for not going with the 36". If it's just for searing a steak, it may be ok, but attempting a full-on breakfast on that surface will be a real challenge.

Depends on the use case. This is perfect for my RV with myself or myself + 1.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blacksto...bletop-Propane-Griddle/805843608?athbdg=L1102

Its cheap, it works, it will cook damn near anything at a campsite, it can use either 1lb disposables or with a hose a 20lb BBQ tank and it is wildly superior, IMHO, to a campstove -- and I don't care if, in five years, its a throw-away (which it might be.)

If you're serious about griddling (is that even a word?), I doubt you'll be happy with a 22" surface. I have a 30" built-in and I am kicking myself for not going with the 36". If it's just for searing a steak, it may be ok, but attempting a full-on breakfast on that surface will be a real challenge.
It depends on the person/situation. I use the 22" Adventure series BS almost daily for breakfast. I do sausage, bacon, toast, omelets, scrambled eggs, etc. with it. It's just the wife and I. We use the gas grill, 700 and B380X for our other meals. I have done stir fry and other similar style meals on it but it is mainly a breakfast cooker. I do like the portability of the 22" Adventure series.

I am looking to get either a 36" BS or the SmokeStone within the next year just to do bigger meals. I will continue to cook our smaller breakfasts on the 22".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back