RT-1070 Bull horns. Have you ever wondered why the bull horns on the grill are installed pointing in when bull horns always point outward.

im horny GIF
That's what happens when a person has too much time on their "hands"...........:ROFLMAO:

I find them annoying, silly looking and a pain to negotiate when putting on or taking off the grill cover.

Keep thinking about replacing them with old MTB bicycle crank arms.

I find them annoying, silly looking and a pain to negotiate when putting on or taking off the grill cover.

As do I. I would have looked into replacing them with something, but the wife just loves the look of them.

I did,View attachment 21666 and I looked at all their advertising and all were pointing inward. So when you raise the lid your arm is right in the heat of the grill. Two days ago I swapped the horns to point out. Not only is that the way bull horns actually go but now my arm is not over the heat but to the side of the grill. This is much more functional and I believe safer.
I did,View attachment 21666 and I looked at all their advertising and all were pointing inward. So when you raise the lid your arm is right in the heat of the grill. Two days ago I swapped the horns to point out. Not only is that the way bull horns actually go but now my arm is not over the heat but to the side of the grill. This is much more functional and I believe safer.
I think you just wanted to make us all jealous by showing off your awesome outdoor cooking space but putting that aside, I prefer the looks of the horns turned in and have no issue with heat on my Flagship 1100. Besides Toro The Bull (as mentioned by a member), turned in horns are anatomically correct for breeds beyond our boarders. Enjoy your outdoor kitchen & happy grilling.

IMG_1419.png
IMG_1418.png
IMG_1417.png

@ringosmoke…in my experience with my 700 cover, my most consistent success has been lifting it up from the controller board/shelf end first…and getting it over that corner of the hopper lid first. Then I work my way lifting the middle and then the smokestack end last.

I put it on in the reverse order…over the smokestack and the hopper lid closest to the smokestack and work my way towards the controller board/shelf end. It gets a little tight getting over that hopper lid corner. But make sure you create enough slack readjusting from the smokestack end and the front (at the horns) to get over that corner of the hopper lid without sounding like you’re ripping it. Yes, it takes a little finagling (sp?) but I’ve had consistently good results doing it that way.

I don’t know if you have a method that’s worked for you but this method works well enough for me that I don’t consider it a problem anymore. Hopefully, it helps you and others. That said, I absolutely could not get the cover on with the horns outward.

If a Bull's Horns pointed inward from where they are mounted .... wouldn't they grow into their Head ? :unsure:

Pointed outward on a 700, the Horns would:
1) Become a Safety Hazard
2) Most likely wreck the (RT700) "Fitted" Cover

I know anatomically it would be correct to have them turned out but I can think of 2 reasons it would be incorrect for the RT smokers. The first is that you will potentially tweak your lid if you open it one handed as the stress load may be isolated to one side. The other reason would include buying extra covers because you may be setting yourself up for a rip/‘tear or two. Just my opinons, but you can use any configuration that pleases you.

I also reversed the direction of the horns because my wife would burn her arms when opening. It worked until I installed the smoke box. The smoke box interfered with the horn on the right so I had to reverse it. I now have one facing inward and one out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back