Bull First Cook - Smoke from emblem/between hopper&drum

jaspry

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
After three years with a Traeger, I got the RT700 on Thursday. First cook this afternoon (Friday) - 4-pound tomahawk ribeye. After reading through this forum, I first put on the hi-temp felt seal on all four sides of the lid. No smoke at all at any point of lid meeting grill. However, noticed some smoke coming out from the lid emblem and then noticed some more smoke that looks like it is coming from between the hopper and back of the grill (not from inside the hopper, thank goodness). Is it coming from the bolts that hold on the hopper (high up on back of grill wall)? Is this normal? Do you live with it? Have a work-around?
View attachment 6234

I didn’t put the hi temp gasket on and don’t really have any smoke leaking from the door. I do get smoke leaking between the drum and hopper, out of the grease discharge opening and of course the chimney. I don’t think it’s a big deal. Others may differ.

It sounds like it is sealed too tight. I don’t seal anything. You do need the airflow. You’re not losing smoke. Don’t worry about that. Just run it as is and you’ll make some delicious food.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback. I might remove a portion (or more) of the gasket. The first cook did turn out great.

Attachments

• TomahawkRibeye4.jpg
    TomahawkRibeye4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 88
  • TomahawkRibeye5.jpg
    TomahawkRibeye5.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 92
I sealed my rt700 too and the smoke came out the emblem at first, but I just tighten the screws down and it stopped. Sealing it was the best mod for sure, no leaks now, only comes out of the chimney and the grease trap. Outside stays super clean now, no more smoke marks or discoloration.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back