First ribs cook

ljgmdad

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Well they won't win any beauty contests, but the our first ribs on the Bull were fantastic and the meat just fell off the bone in our hands...

Haha. I wasn't sure why the meat receded from bone only on one side. Uneven heat distribution somehow?

I have had some where the meat never "pulls back "from the bones and they were perfect....every piece of meat acts differently. As soon as you start to learn the relationship between meat and temp instead of time you will see alot of weird things you thought was supposed to happen...lol

Anyhow, the pic is before glazing. The mixture of honey rub with the espresso rub was amazing. Sweet with a kick. Apple juice and brown sugar and buttah during the sealed part of the cook and spritzing with AJ during the first 3 hours.

Tell me more about placement. I'm going to start a cook for dinner with the neighbors in a few hours.

I would just try rotating them on the grill, maybe try rotating once halfway through. If your noticing the thicker part of the meat isn't pulling back, you could try moving that side to the hotter spot on your grill. A little trial end feasting is never a bad thing!

When you put the ribs on the grill you want to push the ends of the slab together this aligns the bones straight up and down and supplies the most meat on each bone after being cut. Your pull back is more consistent and even when this is done. Once you have placed them you do not want to move them until your finger can’t rub the rub off the slab. You shouldn’t move them until you are ready to place them in foil if that is how you smoke. You should only have pull back on one side of the slab. Try a slab of st louis ribs you’ll love it. Trimming and membrane removal is key to the best ribs.

my understanding you want to have the meat not fall off, which means over cooked. is that correct? you want the meat to be pulled gently off the bone, cooked perfectly from my reading many blogs.

my understanding you want to have the meat not fall off, which means over cooked. is that correct? you want the meat to be pulled gently off the bone, cooked perfectly from my reading many blogs.
Yes...according to competition rules....they should have a firm but not tough "bite" to them. Although a lot of people have been brainwashed over the years to hear "fall of the bone tender" as being the best way.
Everybody like them differently. My kids love the fall of the bone but me and my wife like a little bit of bite to them.
So I would say....how do you like them and cook up lots of em!

I used XTREME SMOKE for the first three hours of my second 321 ribs cook, which is not the 250F that many people use. I'm also didn't go for the full final hour. Maybe 30 minutes tops and pulled the ribs after the sauce set up. I'm also thinking 225 is better than 250 for the middle 2 hours in foil.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back