Flap Steak, Bavette d'Aloyau, Bistro Steak

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
While at Wild Fork, I picked up a full Flap Meat cut. Tonight I trimmed it up and cut it into steaks and grilled one for me (bachelor night). I seasoned it well with a classic beef rub (S&P, garlic, onion powder, paprika) and grilled it on a very hot and close lump charcoal with smoldering mesquite chunks in a komado. I seared to a nice even Malliard reaction and set it aside the direct fire and closed the lid on the cooker and let it come up to about 110F in the very middle, while the mesquite smoke was doing it's majic.

After a 10 minute rest, the internal was 115F and had stopped rising. Time to eat!

I sliced it on a cutting board, plated and had it with some green beans. Wow! Incredible big beefy flavor. The salty and spicy seasoning complimented it very well. Since it was sliced across the grain in about 1/8 to 3/16" thick slices, it was not chewy, but actually had a nice tenderness to chew. The meat has a large grain structure. Flavor was BIG!! I highly recommend it.
20220217_185346.jpg
20220217_185911.jpg

Looks really good.

I keep seeing the comments on flap steak on the WF FP page. I am desperately waiting for my local WF store to open so I can try this. No other local store or butcher carries this cut.

I pretty much gave up on the WF shipping thing at the moment since my local store (1+ hr away) is due to open soon (I hope). I have been disappointed at the selections I get when picked for me and want to choose my own.

While at Wild Fork, I picked up a full Flap Meat cut. Tonight I trimmed it up and cut it into steaks and grilled one for me (bachelor night). I seasoned it well with a classic beef rub (S&P, garlic, onion powder, paprika) and grilled it on a very hot and close lump charcoal with smoldering mesquite chunks in a komado. I seared to a nice even Malliard reaction and set it aside the direct fire and closed the lid on the cooker and let it come up to about 110F in the very middle, while the mesquite smoke was doing it's majic.

After a 10 minute rest, the internal was 115F and had stopped rising. Time to eat!

I sliced it on a cutting board, plated and had it with some green beans. Wow! Incredible big beefy flavor. The salty and spicy seasoning complimented it very well. Since it was sliced across the grain in about 1/8 to 3/16" thick slices, it was not chewy, but actually had a nice tenderness to chew. The meat has a large grain structure. Flavor was BIG!! I highly recommend it.View attachment 14962View attachment 14963
Nice! Very nice!!! And, done to perfection for my taste.

I just couldn't wait to eat this again. So, I grilled one for lunch today. Same process. Lump charcoal, a little mesquite wood for smoke and very very hot fire. It didn't disappoint. Incredible rich beefy flavor

Last night, I took a thin piece of this, cut into 1/8" thick x 3/4 x 1/2 pieces, marinated in Tapitio Carne Asada marinade for 30 minutes, per the marinade directions. Skillet browned it, and made tacos from it. The meat was just too hot for our likes, but I'll make another batch of tacos tonight with a different seasoning.

Tonight, I whipped up my own marinade, loosely based, more just inspired by the good eats recipe, with what i had around.

Juice of couple Cuties squeezed out, 1/2 teaspoon new Mexico chili powder. 1/2 teaspoon California chili powder, dash of soy sauce, minced clove garlic, teaspoon brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/8 teaspoon cumin powder, Juice from 1/2 lemon. Mix it up. Pour into a sandwich size ziplok with 1/2 lb chopped beef to marinate for 30 minutes. My only caveat is that this marinade doesn't have any heat. I like a little heat. But this has none. So maybe a dash of cayenne or a hot sauce would make for a bit of kick.

20220219_192505.jpg
20220219_200726.jpg

There was more beef under all the lettuce and cheese....

Tonight, I whipped up my own marinade, loosely based, more just inspired by the good eats recipe, with what i had around.

Juice of couple Cuties squeezed out, 1/2 teaspoon new Mexico chili powder. 1/2 teaspoon California chili powder, dash of soy sauce, minced clove garlic, teaspoon brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/8 teaspoon cumin powder, Juice from 1/2 lemon. Mix it up. Pour into a sandwich size ziplok with 1/2 lb chopped beef to marinate for 30 minutes. My only caveat is that this marinade doesn't have any heat. I like a little heat. But this has none. So maybe a dash of cayenne or a hot sauce would make for a bit of kick.

View attachment 14989View attachment 14990
There was more beef under all the lettuce and cheese....

That has a really appetizing view.. like it should be on a menu :) .. Looks great

Even with all the chili powder it had no heat? Surprised.. that's all. Will save & try one day. Thanks for all you share. I still need to move closer to you LOL.

The cut looks like skirt steak to me.
The Skirt comes from just behind the front shoulder and the Flap/Sirloin Flap is from just behind and above the Flank, ahead of the hind quarter.

From this video, I think I need to get some skirt next.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back