Home ovens

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Hoping someone is more knowledgeable than I in this topic. The wife and I do a lot of cooking other than on the smoker or grills, much is baking, cookies, bread, etc. We currently have a 15 yo electric GE Profile that the oven temp varies more then 50 degrees both ways when in Bake mode and shows current temp if you cycle the oven off then back on, other then that it shows the set temp. In convection mode it shows current temp all the time.

Does anyone have an oven that either varies less or shows current temp without resetting the oven?

No one seems to publish this kind of data on their ovens and sales folks tell you what you want to hear.

We have the GE Cafe gas version.
It shows the temp build up to the set temp, beeps, and stays there, say at 350*.
It reads at 350* the whole cook even if we open the door to peek.
The convection acts the same, except it only builds up to 25* less than the set temp.
I should do this, but haven't yet. I need to check temp accuracy with the Thermoworks.

No oven-type heat source (including kitchen ovens, BBQ grills, smokers, etc.) maintains a constant temperature! They all cycle above and below the set point in order to achieve an average that’s close to the set temperature. Now, some oven-type heat sources may work better than others, but they all cycle up and down.

A big part of the even-temperature problem is that we now have access to high-quality, instant-read heat measurement devices but still don’t understand how the heat source actually works. Whether we are looking at electric, gas, wood-fired, etc. the major factor is actually heat containment insulation or heat retention. Old-fashioned brick and clay ovens can stay pretty stable once they are up to temperature because of their ability to retain heat and release it slowly. Sheet metal boxes with a thin layer of insulation (like kitchen ovens) can’t hold a candle to them.

Modern kitchen ovens don’t usually have the same heat retention capability, so constant heating and cooling takes place. Whatever method of controlling the heat will work toward maintaining an average temperature. That requires as many temperature overshoots as dips below the set point to achieve the desired average.

Experienced cooks and bakers ”get to know” their ovens and rely on this experience to achieve good results rather than constantly monitoring the temperature with high-tech thermometers. Do you remember how grandma always knew when things were done without using a thermometer? Knowing her cooking appliance’s quirks was her secret.

Checked with a repair tech at a large appliance dealer, says they all work the way mine does but maybe not 50 degrees both ways, he would expect 25 each way.

I have a Wolf electric oven and a Kitchenaid electric oven. The kitchenaid is only a few months old and it has performed very well. The Wolf is about 18 years old and runs like a Rolex never had an issue and believe me my wife uses it a lot. I think the Kitchenaid is worth the money not sure how long it will last thou

Our house came with some 80s vintage GE ovens (2). My wife is a prolific baker. These ovens are in poor shape, but still work as intended. I had to fabricate a little bracket to hold the upper broiler element in place, since it had rusted away. She uses those cheap analog thermometers and knows her ovens. Rare is the day when her baking isn't spot on.

Our kitchen needs a remodel. But life's priorities have kept it down the list. Maybe soon. We both cook much more now that we are both retired. When we both worked in aerospace, eating dinner out was a certainty, the rest of the meals were at work, so our kitchen didn't have much purpose other than a snackbar and the occasional bbq, and of course my wife's baking. I suppose it's time to put a priority on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back