How do I cook this beef chuck brisket?

Raba0587

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
My wife picked this up to make on the 590. What are your recommendations for recipe to prep/cook? New to this and have had mediocre results with other cooks I’ve done so looking for something to impress. FYI it’s grass fed beef so i believe temps should be lower than “normal” beef. It’s about 3lbs.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I’m no expert on brisket but I don’t see how being grass fed would impact temps. Maybe someone with more knowledge about this will chime in. I would like to know.

I’m no expert on brisket but I don’t see how being grass fed would impact temps. Maybe someone with more knowledge about this will chime in. I would like to know.
Grain fed beef will have more intramuscular fat, marbling, than grass fed. It can take higher temps without drying out than a grass fed cut.

Im just wondering if this is one of those 20 hour 3lb'ers i have been reading about?

Ok ok, smart backside aside. Trim it, slather it with whatever rub you want, let it sit at least an hour in the fridge with said rub, overnight is fine. Set your grill to your desired temp and monitor. Wrap if you care to at stall and continue to monitor. Your temp is your temp, i do them anywhere from 225 and up. If you have never done one start it very early in the morning and watch it closely to get experience. If you trim it good, take a good spray bottle and fill with apple juice or pepsi and give it a heavy mist/soak ever hour or so after the first 2-3 hours (i have said for a long time i am going to do this with a bourbon but have yet too) This will let you understand how bark forms and what it looks like at different stages and give you a basis to work from. In future cooks you can or cannot mist or wrap or higher temps etc, you get the idea. I have never done anything under an entire brisket so dont know know standard times for just flats, i will have to pick one up soon to test. Perhaps that will be my first bourbon flat test :LOL:

Experiment. I don’t try to impress anyone until I’ve practiced first. Too many variables. I cooked my last one at 225 with a thermal blanket on my Stampede (It was cold outside). Dry brined for 8 hours. Rubbed with Montreal steak seasoning. Sprayed it with beef broth every 2 hours. Wrapped it at 155-ish with 1/2 cup of beef broth in the foil and bumped the grill temp up to 250. Finished at 205 internal temp. Rest for 45 min. It was a 12 hour cook this time plus the additional time to rest. Get out of bed early!

Last edited:
I think I'd wrap the leaner grass fed sooner than grain finished. I wouldn't go all the way to the stall. I'd probably just get enough smoke on it and some level of bark, then wrap and cook to tender, then ramp the smoker up to about 350F and unwrap to finish the bark quickly.

I would also use a little sugar in the spritz to help with the bark development.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back