Meat Slicer?

ccmjr77

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I am looking for a Meat Slicer. I don't really need a commercial one, but do not want a piece of junk either. Any recommendations for occasional use that can be put away when not in use, but not to large as to be a burden to get out when we use it?
I have been looking online, but looking for personal recommendations...

I have a Chef's Choice 640. Have had it for at least 12 years. The link below is the current model. I keep it in a cabinet and bring it out when I need it. It does the job for sure but I find it a bit awkward to use as you need to manually move the slider where the meat goes at the same time as you are pressing in the pusher to turn on the machine. I've looked for others but they are significantly heavier. So I decided to just keep mine since it does work.

I don't like appliances on my counters so a heavier model was not an option for me.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...8CdvELVhVuE-gMcF2Y9a2cRhJgTN_3loaAntaEALw_wcB

I bought this one on Facebook Marketplace earlier this year for a couple hundred bucks, 10 inch heavy duty commercial unit can run pretty much forever not like the cheaper ones that you can only use for 10 to 15 minutes and then have to let it rest for a hour due to the duty cycle ratings, only down side it's heavy.
20200526_115649.jpg

Last edited:
We've had a "Krups" brand one for a lot of years. It's light and works really well but almost requires rocket science to get it back in the box, LOL!! And, yes, it has the tricky on-off switch also.

I have the 10" commercial model from Cabela's...it's served me well.

There are lots of trade offs in the various choices and the why behind wanting a slicer is important. The granton blade slicing knife is certainly economical and effective if you've developed the knife skills. But if even, equal thickness slices are high on your list of "needs", then it may only get you close.

My first slicer was a hand me down from the inlaws, a cheaper version of the one Beth linked to. It was okay in the least enthusiastic tone you can generate. Bogged down on more solid product, forget firm cheeses, and wasn't always consistent with thickness (some operator error in play because of design limitations). But it taught some lessons in usage and value of that type of tool. I ended up with one similar to the one Mastertech59 shows. Yep, biggest drawback is the weight and corresponding size. Biggest advantage is the weight and corresponding size. It's a solid working base, no effort in moving the carriage is lost in also pushing the slicer across the counter, even though just a little. The power allows it to go through most products with ease. And the consistency, especially down to very thin cuts, is rewarding. You can get a lot of work done in a short period of time. Cleanup is a bit time consuming especially if you're mindful of health issues, but then the little one was similar just less real estate. Once you use one you'll wonder why you didn't step up sooner. Similar feeling to using a quality version of a tool instead of the "economy" one. If you've ever used a worm drive Skil type saw over a direct drive one you'll understand. It's just easier even in spite of the additional bulk. Whether it's "too heavy" or not is both real and a matter of attitude. If you value the superior outcome it's going to be worth the infrequent "discomfort". If you've got the pantry space, or similar, mount it on a rolling cart. It really is worth the difference if you have the bucks, space, and attitude.

I'm in the commercial food equipment business. Because size and weight are important to you, I'd suggest checking out some of the light-duty commercial slicers that are available. Stay away from the used stuff at eBay. You're likely to get an obsolete unit that is missing critical components.
Expect to spend $500-$800 but with home use, it'll last forever.
It's hard to beat the prices of these guys, they kick my butt all day long. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/14199/meat-slicers.html Good luck in your search.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back