Mesquite, its not just for BBQ

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
A little off topic. Today I had the garage door open for a few hours and noticed a few bees flying in it. An hour later, my wife came home and said there was a swarm in the garage. I grabbed a couple handfuls of mesquite pieces and put them in a metal tray and lit them. Bees were gone quickly.

A little off topic. Today I had the garage door open for a few hours and noticed a few bees flying in it. An hour later, my wife came home and said there was a swarm in the garage. I grabbed a couple handfuls of mesquite pieces and put them in a metal tray and lit them. Bees were gone quickly.
And, the garage had that nice Hickory smoke smell. What’s not to like?

Buzzing bees.
1681996899368.png

I asked because I am having a big problem with carpenter bees at my main home and at our cabin in north GA. They are the big ones that I used to always hear called bumble bees. They bore into wood and lay their larvae (or whatever it is called). Then, at the cabin at least, one of those large red headed woodpeckers thinks it is a sushi bar. Here is the result.

7990CBB6-C4EE-44E6-B45E-CBCA6BF6D76F.jpeg

I asked because I am having a big problem with carpenter bees at my main home and at our cabin in north GA. They are the big ones that I used to always hear called bumble bees. They bore into wood and lay their larvae (or whatever it is called). Then, at the cabin at least, one of those large red headed woodpeckers thinks it is a sushi bar. Here is the result.

View attachment 19056

Doesn't necessarily solve your bee problem, but...

IMG_7951.png

View attachment 19056
Someone told me years ago that spraying diluted Dawn dishsoap worked to keep wasps from returning to their hive. It seemed to work on mud dauber wasps. Maybe it would work for your bees.

View attachment 19056
Carpenter bees are a major issue for me as well.

This has been an interesting discussion and I confess that I’d never heard of carpenter bees before. We have carpenter ants in Washington state and I’d definitely heard of, and experienced, them. A little research revealed that we also have a species of carpenter bees that I Was unfamiliar with.

Here in the far northwest corner of Washington state, we have recently had an infestation of Giant Asian Hornets (aka “Murder Hornets”) that the state has been diligently trying to eradicate. So far, none have been discovered this year (or last) after scrambling to wipe out several colonies in 2021.

I have had issues with carpenter bees in the past. I sprayed for several years and it didn't help. They kept coming back. The only successful method I'm aware of is putting out the carpenter bee traps (do a search). When the bees return they enter the already made holes and are trapped before they can make holes and lay their eggs inside. If you spray, they probably already have laid their eggs and those that hatch will return next year. There are plans online to make your own traps if you don't want to spend the money on factory made ones. The traps got rid of mine and I keep them up year 'round.

View attachment 19056
Something very similar to this is the only thing that worked for me: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-make-a-carpenter-bee-trap/

View attachment 19056
Make some carpenter bee traps they work great and fun to watch as you trap them.

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/planting-and-maintenance/make-a-homemade-carpenter-bee-trap

I had a problem with those bees. I made the traps and now look for new holes. They are easy to find. You will see the wood dropping on the ground. When I find them I take a 12 ga wire and push thru the hole to break into their nest. I then spray bee and wasp killer into it and then stuff steel wool into the hole and seal the hole with wood filler.

I keep a few dead bees in the jars form the previous year to act as decoys or the scent to attract the bees. The males have a white square on their head and are usually bigger. Basically the problem is solved as I rarely have new nests. They are lazy like humans and want to do as little as possible so it is easier to use the hole in the trap

I have had issues with carpenter bees in the past. I sprayed for several years and it didn't help. They kept coming back. The only successful method I'm aware of is putting out the carpenter bee traps (do a search). When the bees return they enter the already made holes and are trapped before they can make holes and lay their eggs inside. If you spray, they probably already have laid their eggs and those that hatch will return next year. There are plans online to make your own traps if you don't want to spend the money on factory made ones. The traps got rid of mine and I keep them up year 'round.
I’ve used the traps before-never caught a single bee in them. I’ve resorted to letting them start their nest, then plugging the holes with a dowel rod. Not perfect, as they are a valuable pollinator, but my deck is pretty valuable also!

I’ve used the traps before-never caught a single bee in them. I’ve resorted to letting them start their nest, then plugging the holes with a dowel rod. Not perfect, as they are a valuable pollinator, but my deck is pretty valuable also!
We need our pollinators for sure and well of course protect our valuables as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back