Bull New controller and auger coming... I guess?

macabra11

So in continued communications about my RT-700 issues, I am now supposedly getting a new controller with upgraded firmware (current Bull from Sept'19 has v103, and new will have v104). I know my Bull was one of the first ones with the external wifi antenna, but when I checked the firmware it showed v103 (with grill off, hold the settings button down and cycle through until you see 103 or 104). They are also sending me a new Auger motor... from a BFG2500! o_O

I had been in contact off/on for months regarding slow heat up times and warping deflectors and drip pans. I've tried using Firelock gasket and have since removed it. They had me bend my rtd probe away from the wall of the grill, and send replacement deflector and drip pan. Both of the new pieces warped during the first use. The drip pan goes back to shape when the grill cools down, but the deflector is permanently twisted... again.

IMG_7443.jpg

I am not sure what the new controller or auger motor from the BFG2500 is going to do. Anyone else have any experience with either of these?

So in continued communications about my RT-700 issues, I am now supposedly getting a new controller with upgraded firmware (current Bull from Sept'19 has v103, and new will have v104). I know my Bull was one of the first ones with the external wifi antenna, but when I checked the firmware it showed v103 (with grill off, hold the settings button down and cycle through until you see 103 or 104). They are also sending me a new Auger motor... from a BFG2500! o_O

I had been in contact off/on for months regarding slow heat up times and warping deflectors and drip pans. I've tried using Firelock gasket and have since removed it. They had me bend my rtd probe away from the wall of the grill, and send replacement deflector and drip pan. Both of the new pieces warped during the first use. The drip pan goes back to shape when the grill cools down, but the deflector is permanently twisted... again.

View attachment 2475

I am not sure what the new controller or auger motor from the BFG2500 is going to do. Anyone else have any experience with either of these?
I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. I do have confidence that they will make things right for you. I just received mine, and it has the external antenna. No issues so far. I did have some blemishes on the unit and they compensated me generously for them. Please do share how it works out for you. In the meantime: Peace. You can't buy that!

View attachment 2475

They are really good at taking care of any issues. I’m sure you’ll get it soon and resolve any problems. When working smoothly, it’s a great smoker.

Well the new parts came in and I installed them yesterday. It was a very simple and straightforward process, with the hardest part of trying to fit my hands and an appropriately sized screwdriver behind the controller to remove it.

After everything was buttoned up and the interior cleaned (firepot, new foil, etc), I fired it up to Full. It got to 604º in 21 min flat! I then turned it down to 350º to see how it would do at holding a medium range temp. Actual reading was much higher (380s) so I called CS and they had me lower my feed rate down to 1.5%. He said the bigger auger motor has more torque and rpms, so it may need to go even lower. Since the grill had already been hot, it was difficult to gauge if I will need to adjust the feed rate more. I might try from a totally cold start today to see how it does at maintaining lower temps.

The other issue I have been constantly having is warping of the heat shield and drip pan. I'm on my second set now and the heat shield warped on the first use. When the Bull heats up, the warp is amplified and pushes up on the drip pan. RecTec is sending me yet another heat deflector, but is also going to reach out to one of their contacts in GA who makes huge trailer smokers (The Beast), to see about getting some custom support bars welded into a deflector. The rep I talked to said they do have a couple ideas in the pipeline for addressing this issue, but no idea when that might come to fruition. I don't mind testing out a new deflector design or two, especially if it helps them make a better product in the end.

After all this, the only thing left on my wish list is for the app and alarms to work. Get all that fixed and I will be shouting from the mountaintops!

View attachment 2475

Cooking 5 years on 680 with warped heat deflector no real problem. My grease pan is warped to but again great BBQ every time. I use a 3” paint scraper to clean as I hate foiling with a passion. You do what you feel is ness are but my family loves my cooking so if it ain’t broke don’t fixit is my rule.
smokem’ if ya gottem’

How is the new auger motor running for you now? I have a 590 and they sent me the BFG motor. I’m still only getting about 550 max, but I’m having issues with it under and overshooting temps.

How is the new auger motor running for you now? I have a 590 and they sent me the BFG motor. I’m still only getting about 550 max, but I’m having issues with it under and overshooting temps.
The temp control has been good for me. The biggest thing I notice is that if I have the lid open for any more than a few secs, it will overshoot and take a few mins to come back down. So if I know I’m going to have the lid open for awhile, I’ll crank the temp down 5-10°, open lid, do what I need, then turn it back up. Seems to trick the computer into maintaining a little better.
The real problem is the constant warped diffusers pushing up my drip pan into my grates and not allowing proper drainage. Had a big f’ing mess after an overnight pulled pork cook with 5 big shoulders on there.

Interesting...I've had a hell of a time with this grill. Honestly, I started with the 340 and that one was miswired, the temp ports for the probes were shorted out, and grease would trip out of the sides. I ended up going with the 590 and they assured me it'd get as hot as quickly as the 340, but that wasn't my experience plus the temps were over/undershooting. They sent me the new auger and a new controller, put the auger in but the controller has a physical defect. The new auger definitely gets up there (max 540-550), but the temps are still off. It'll get to 180 for a few minutes, then get too hot, then get back down to 180, then drop below. Happens at all temps this way. Had a cook yesterday at 300 and it kept going all over the place (as high as 380). I dropped the feed rate to 10-15 when I initially put it in. I'm just trying to figure out if it's the RTD or the controller. At this point, I'm working with a manager but we're only in contact once a week so it's a frustratingly slow process to narrow down and fix.

As for the diffuser, mine is definitely warped. I don't know if that causes any issues or not. It happened on both grills, but the 340 kept rock solid temps while the 590 has a hard time holding temps. It could go either way?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back