Pork Butt & Chuck Roast on Flagship 1100

andyr78

After doing some chicken thighs for my first cook after the burn in early in January. Haven't cooked as much as I would like and cooked a pork butt and chuck roast. Was very surprised and happy with the results. Cooked the pork butt overnight at 225 until IT hit 205 with no wrap. Took 12-13 hours. Forgot to get pictures after pulling it apart. Cooked the chuck roast at 225 until the IT got to 160, then wrapped in butcher paper. Raised the temp to 275 until IT hit 205. Would more of the fat inside rendered down if I had left the temp at 225 for the entire cook? Was very happy with the result of both cooks. Want to continue to learn and it seems when I look online, you can find answers for both sides of leaving the temp or raising it.

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

After doing some chicken thighs for my first cook after the burn in early in January. Haven't cooked as much as I would like and cooked a pork butt and chuck roast. Was very surprised and happy with the results. Cooked the pork butt overnight at 225 until IT hit 205 with no wrap. Took 12-13 hours. Forgot to get pictures after pulling it apart. Cooked the chuck roast at 225 until the IT got to 160, then wrapped in butcher paper. Raised the temp to 275 until IT hit 205. Would more of the fat inside rendered down if I had left the temp at 225 for the entire cook? Was very happy with the result of both cooks. Want to continue to learn and it seems when I look online, you can find answers for both sides of leaving the temp or raising it.

View attachment 21297
View attachment 21298
Both look great! Makes me hungry. I normally look for a stall on a chuck and good bark before wrapping. Like you I only wrap my butts (ok, bring it) when I am doing hot and fast aka 325.I never wrap ribs either, pork or beef. I will say, I am a 180 type for an hour or two them up to 250. Pretty much what my stick burner liked (250) so I liked and still like.

Keep on smokin!

View attachment 21297
View attachment 21298
Damn, that chuckie looks great! You may have helped me decide what’s going on the Bull this weekend!

Great looking cook, @andyr78!

As for the chuck roast, I don’t think leaving it at 225F would have rendered much more fat. IME, with chuck roasts, if there are sizable fat pockets, they won’t fully render out regardless of cook temp/duration. All chuck roasts will have some fat pockets and, when I can, I select the ones with the smallest fat pockets.

Like @RattleR above, I like to do an hour or two at 180F to pick up some smoke, then finish at 250F. That has worked well for me.

As I understand it, beef fat starts to render t 140+/-, It sounds like keeping meat between 140 and your target temp as long as possible would melt the most fat.

Something like if you are going for 200+/- then once it hits 140 set the temp to 200 or so so it rises slowly as opposed to 275. Of course going for tender vs temp.

Opinions?

That was my thought as well and the more I read about it. I kept finding opinions on both sides. Going to try starting at 180 for the first couple hours on my next cook and see how that goes. Wanted to thank everyone on this forum. Haven’t posted much, but I’ve been reading and learning.

Yeah that chuck looks great!!! I do 250F until the stall while spritzing every hour with 50/50 water apple cider vinegar, then wrap when stalls and bump up to 275F until hit 205.........like butter!!!!! I did my last butt that way recently as well, it turned out better than I dreamed would. The smoke rings and bark for both were stellar.

True to my word, I put a couple of chucks on about an hour ago. Going to be in the 70’s today in east-central MO. One of them has a basic SPOG rub and the other has that plus some coffee, fresh ground coriander and a little dark chili powder. Used Dijon mustard as a binder on both. 180* for a couple of hours, then I believe I will finish at 250*.

DE4104F6-9C49-4016-BE2C-11A3EF33CCE6.jpeg
B60BA987-AFA5-4BED-8566-464D192B9FBB.jpeg

Looking good, @MOSmoke. I need to do another chuckie; they are one of our favorites.
I’m curious how these work out. We butcher our own beef (an extended family ritual) and these 2 still have bones in them. It wasn’t until after I put the rub on that I thought to myself, “I probably should have trimmed these up.” I’m just using the Recteq probes, but temps have been all over the place due to proximity to the bones I suspect. I have them wrapped now and will let the probe test determine when they’re done. Pulled the tv out on the front porch. Having a cocktail and watching NASCAR in the front yard. It’s always fun to see if anyone drives by and stops

I haven’t done any chuck roasts with the bone in, and I probably would have removed it prior to cooking, but I think you will be fine if you just go for probe tender. Keeping your RT probe at least an inch away from the bone should provide a reasonably accurate temperature measurement.

Your roasts look great and I envy you having a family beef source. If you have any input at the meat-cutting stage, I would have the chuck roasts cut at least 2-1/2” thick if you plan to smoke them. Thicker roasts will take a bit longer to cook, but IME, they are a bit more predictable. I usually try to buy the thickest ones I can find.

Oh, and watching NASCAR here too. We are Kyle Larson fans, primarily from his sprint car activity, but he does a good job with the #5 Chevy. Way back when, we were involved in sprint car racing and love the sport.

I haven’t done any chuck roasts with the bone in, and I probably would have removed it prior to cooking, but I think you will be fine if you just go for probe tender. Keeping your RT probe at least an inch away from the bone should provide a reasonably accurate temperature measurement.

Your roasts look great and I envy you having a family beef source. If you have any input at the meat-cutting stage, I would have the chuck roasts cut at least 2-1/2” thick if you plan to smoke them. Thicker roasts will take a bit longer to cook, but IME, they are a bit more predictable. I usually try to buy the thickest ones I can find.

Oh, and watching NASCAR here too. We are Kyle Larson fans, primarily from his sprint car activity, but he does a good job with the #5 Chevy. Way back when, we were involved in sprint car racing and love the sport.
I like the bone-in solution. I’m probably biased but I feel the marrow adds flavor and overall structure to the cook if tied/bound properly. I also like a thick roast and have them cut at about 6” for my taste.

I had a few people drop by and I got so caught up in talking and watching the race that I’ll forgot to take pics in the end. Both roasts turned out good. I just let the probe tell me when it was done. No complaints from the people who are it.

I’m in a NASCAR pool with 11 other people. I have my drivers I like, but I’m usually rooting for the 2 I have picked any given week. Mixed results yesterday…

I tend to be an ‘anybody but (that driver)’ NASCAR fan, but I like the way the Trackhouse teams and drivers approach the sport. Yesterday’s race was, IMO, one of the best Cup races I’ve seen in a long time.

To me, yesterday’s NASCAR Cup race looked more like a demo derby. I don’t think I have seen as many top cars wrecked in a single race, at least in a long time. Unfortunately, for the third week in a row my guy got wrecked through no fault of his own.

Great looking cook, @andyr78!

As for the chuck roast, I don’t think leaving it at 225F would have rendered much more fat. IME, with chuck roasts, if there are sizable fat pockets, they won’t fully render out regardless of cook temp/duration. All chuck roasts will have some fat pockets and, when I can, I select the ones with the smallest fat pockets.

Like @RattleR above, I like to do an hour or two at 180F to pick up some smoke, then finish at 250F. That has worked well for me.
That’s been my experience too.

Smoked chuck roast is quite versatile. In addition to bbq sandwiches, I’ve used the shredded meat in chili, enchiladas, & tacos/burritos. I’m sure others have done good things with it too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back