REC TEC wifi sucks

You can turn the 5GHz back on. The grills only use the 2.4, so turning off the 5 is to avoid issues in setting up the connection. It's not a permanent thing. As for the VPN, I'd say turn it back on and then try connecting to the RT700. If it works you have your answer.
Did just that, still works.

I really hope Rec Tec opts for a tiny bit better wifi controller soon. While setting up the girl isn't really a huge process, it could be so much more simpler if they would opt for a tiny bit better controller that supports 5Ghz.

I think, based on where most people have the Rec Tec products, 2.4Ghz is better than 5Ghz.

Clicky

"5 GHz may sound newer and faster—and it is—but it’s better in smaller spaces. If you want to cover a wide open space, 2.4 GHz is better. So, if you want a better Wi-Fi signal outdoors, connect to 2.4GHz instead of 5 GHz. Or, if your Wi-Fi has to travel through some dense objects before reaching you, 2.4 GHz will do a much better job of that than 5 GHz."

I think, based on where most people have the Rec Tec products, 2.4Ghz is better than 5Ghz.

Clicky

"5 GHz may sound newer and faster—and it is—but it’s better in smaller spaces. If you want to cover a wide open space, 2.4 GHz is better. So, if you want a better Wi-Fi signal outdoors, connect to 2.4GHz instead of 5 GHz. Or, if your Wi-Fi has to travel through some dense objects before reaching you, 2.4 GHz will do a much better job of that than 5 GHz."
I'm well aware of the differences between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz technology and yes in many cases 2.4Ghz will be better in terms of reliability and distance.

My issue isn't because I want to transfer data between my phone and grill at gigabit speed, but my issue is the issues this cause when new users try to setup their grill on their wifi. Most home users aren't tech savvy and to tell them to separate or turn off 5Ghz is foreign to them. You should just be talking Latin to them.

I've owned many devices in the past that only worked on 2.4Ghz but didn't throw up on itself if I joined it to a wireless network that had both 2.4 and 5Ghz enabled. That's my only point.

I understand your point. I'd have to wonder if adding a 5GHz radio to the grill might result in people connecting to the shorter-range signal, leading to another flavor of unhappy experience.

I'd say your last paragraph hits the nail on the head. It should be possible to make the initial configuration easier with both bands enabled on the router - even with only a 2.4GHz radio on the grill.

There is no way to say it to them other than, REC TEC your wifi absolutely sucks, I shouldnt have to sign into the cloud (which wont accept my passwords) just to cook and use wifi, I dont know what kind of cooperating scam you have going with roanoke but get your **** together and give us a usable, workable wifi.
Took me a bit to eneable both bands on my router. Once I did I assigned the lower band a name and only connect to that with The Bull.
Ask for help to accomplish that and you’ll have a perfect experience. Really

Took me a bit to eneable both bands on my router. Once I did I assigned the lower band a name and only connect to that with The Bull.
Ask for help to accomplish that and you’ll have a perfect experience. Really

That doesn't fix the alerts not working.

I had to create a new network SSID for 2.4 GHz-only because my mesh router is otherwise automatic. Some new mesh systems, like Google Nest, don't even allow that. From other posts I've read, when RecTec updated the controller firmware early on they were unable to push that out and had to send out replacement controllers instead. All in all, the controller and app seem to be very limited. I suspect this is why they have been unable to resolve the alerts problem. It's pretty much impossible to keep up with updates when you don't have a way for the consumer to update the firmware.

I had a little bit of trouble connecting mine at first. It was because I use a gaming modem and wifi router with 5GHz. I have a Galaxy S8 Android phone. I called support and while they were talking me through it, I stopped the app, cleared the cache and refreshed the phone and boom! App connected and has every time since. The key is turning off the 5GHz band on the router. Once you get the connection, you can turn it back on. My only problem is that the alarms do not work. I try it every time to see if it is fixed yet. Other than that minor issue, I love it!

For anybody who is thinking about buying and concerned about connectivity using a Cisco DPC3941T/Xfinity router - dual band 2.4/5.0

I received my Stampede last night and only needed two attempts (could have been user error on first attempt) to get the grill hooked up to wifi and the app working. My router was only about 20 ft away, however.

Just for the record, my alerts do not work with iPhone 11, Software Version 13.3.1 - Looking forward to new update rectifying this.

I got my RT-700 this week and did the burn-in, but have not been able to get the WiFi working. I tried over 10 times and it wouldn't work. So, I have Xfinity for my internet. I also use their pods to create a mesh network. To do that, I combined my 5.0GHz and 2.4GHz into one SSID. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Xfinity today only to determine that once you do this with the modem/router, you can't go back to two separate bands. So, I need to call RecTec and see if there's another option, or I'll have to get a new modem/router. They really should just provide a controller that can connect to either 2.4GHz or 5GHz and not only 2.4. It's very frustrating.

I did find this while researching troubleshooting on the RecTec website - may have to try it out, but not sure how to find the edge of the network range:

MESH NETWORKS* & EXTENDERS
- Mesh networks represent their own Pandora's Box, but we've opened that box and found the outlandish patch for the mesh network conundrum. The first step to conquering this task is to find the edge of the signal from your mesh network. This entails walking away from the router until you lose connection to the network. Next, come back into range of the network and forget it from your saved networks. Now, while still on the fringe of the network, get just close enough to find the network and reconnect to it. While staying on the fringe of the network reconnect to the grill. At this point you should leave your phone in the fringe range and achieve a quick blink state from the LED on the grill. Back at your phone, on your mesh network, complete the WiFi Setup process.

- Extenders are tricky. On the plus side, most extenders only come in a 2.4 signal. On the downside, if they are over spaced they may be receiving a poor quality of signal while presenting a strong strength of signal. What that means for us is while your phone says it has a superb connection because your close to the extender but the extender is too far from the router to have a good connection. A daisy chain configuration of extenders would strengthen the quality of signal received. Below is a link to an extender that we recommend.

* This works by being out of range of the 5.0 signal while still in the range of the 2.4 signal and allows us to bypass the weaving nature of signals in a mesh network

While I agree that RecTec needs to update their controller, these router manufacturers know damn well there are devices that have this problem. That's the main reason I went with an Amplifi router instead of Google Nest. And ISP provided solutions are nearly always inferior and limited.

The problem, as I understand it, is that your phone and grill will both need to be on 2.4 to set it up, but your phone is going to default to 5. If you physically move to the edge of your range, your phone should automatically switch to 2.4.

The frustrating thing is that nobody knows about this until they they have purchased their mesh router and set it up. It can be a real PITA to figure out what's going on at that point.

There's a whole lotta asummin' goin' on, unfortunately by RT as well. Here's some info to consider, though I lack the tech savvy to say I know the answer. I have spent a bunch of my life solving problems, and to my way of thinking nobody has done a good job of isolating the common factors in this issue. I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6s to an 11. The 6s had the latest IOS, same as the 11. When we switched phones the carrier did the usual transfer of settings and data from my old phone to the new. One of the things that appeared to come over intact was the RT wifi stuff. I didn't get a chance to test it until a couple days ago. To my pleasant surprise it connected, I was able to turn it on and off, set a different target temp, and do all the things I was able to do with the 6s, until, the temp alert step. Nada. So, a data point for analysis. Alarms worked on a 6 but not on an 11. No change in setup, no need to go through a reinstall, no change in home network settings or hardware, no change in the configuration of the house that might interfere with a signal. All factors, except the phone model, the same.

There's a whole lotta asummin' goin' on, unfortunately by RT as well. Here's some info to consider, though I lack the tech savvy to say I know the answer. I have spent a bunch of my life solving problems, and to my way of thinking nobody has done a good job of isolating the common factors in this issue. I recently upgraded from an iPhone 6s to an 11. The 6s had the latest IOS, same as the 11. When we switched phones the carrier did the usual transfer of settings and data from my old phone to the new. One of the things that appeared to come over intact was the RT wifi stuff. I didn't get a chance to test it until a couple days ago. To my pleasant surprise it connected, I was able to turn it on and off, set a different target temp, and do all the things I was able to do with the 6s, until, the temp alert step. Nada. So, a data point for analysis. Alarms worked on a 6 but not on an 11. No change in setup, no need to go through a reinstall, no change in home network settings or hardware, no change in the configuration of the house that might interfere with a signal. All factors, except the phone model, the same.

That is a good data point. Just to be clear, the 2.4/5.0 GHz issue is separate from the alarm issue and we know the why and the way around it.

Thanks everyone, well almost !!!! My problems began with roanoke cloud not accepting my login and then continued with my email address is already in used, I carefully make passwords (caps etc.) and roanoke cloud just didnt accept what it had accepted. It didnt stop there but with some here and there uneducated empathy I decided to just drop it. And yes, part of the frustration is having to use cloud vs direct wifi.

P.S. In the end, I think they needed someone to say it.

You guys are scaring me. I chose the Rec Tec over Grilla specifically because of the WiFi. I hope I don't regret the high hopes for the WiFi alerts that I had. My 340 arrives Thursday.

In this day and age you would think some of these functions would be plug and play. I never knew there were two frequencies until I bought a mesh system because of work at home.

.. high hopes for the WiFi alerts...
I hope the alerts work for you but judging by the poll results on this site the odds may not be in your favor. To me, given the extent to which some folks plan to rely on alerts, it is discouraging that R-T doesn't at least have a notice on their web site concerning this issue.

I won't depend on alerts but it really was a decision maker for me. My network has a 2.4 channel so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Go Bucks!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but connecting to your home WiFi and inoperable alarms are two separate issues. My Bull connected on the first try and judging by the poll there aren't a high number of WiFi connection issues.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but connecting to your home WiFi and inoperable alarms are two separate issues. My Bull connected on the first try and judging by the poll there aren't a high number of WiFi connection issues.
Sounds right to me. Mine connected on the first try and I'm fine isn't the all to turn on/off, set & change temps, and monitor temps. However the alarms don't generate an alert. Disappointing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back