Show us what you're cooking...

Only my 3rd brisket. Had to run it a little longer than I wanted but it feels nice and jucy!
20190823_183250.jpg

Now that is some nice looking pulled pork!! The whole dish looks well....picture perfect!!! Extra point for sure on this one to you!

Out of curiosity...what cut of pork was that?

@NU2SMOKE it was just a regular pork shoulder (butt)...but the butcher cut it kinda weird,not sure why..still tasted good!
It's basically sitting on its side real narrow. He must have run out of pig...hahaha

I almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday... Mama wanted burgers (eyeroll)..let us know the cook details when done! Maybe it's me ,but brisket prices seemed kinda high yesterday... was that just Holiday weekend prices?
5$ a pound at the butcher I stopped at.

I almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday... Mama wanted burgers (eyeroll)..let us know the cook details when done! Maybe it's me ,but brisket prices seemed kinda high yesterday... was that just Holiday weekend prices?
Ouch.. that sounds like “flat” prices. I picked this one up for $2.81 a lb, it’s a packer / full but that’s been a couple of weeks. I find most flats are $4.5 to $6 a lb., but the packers are about 1/2 that.

I do a basic rub of 1/2 coarse kosher salt and 1/2 coarse black pepper (buy in bulk at Sams or Costco). Apply a tin coat of olive oil and then cover every inch of the meat (both sides). Preheat with “extreme smoke”, toss on and cook for about 90 or so minutes before cranking it up to 225. I’ll pull at 165, wrap in peach butcher and put back on. Start checking for “probe like buddah” at 195 and pull when it’s ready. Place in foil pan and inside a towel lined cooler for 2 to 3 hours and then handcuff myself to my desk so I’m not tempted to slice and eat until ready.

So far Sam's is still the best price in my neck of the woods at $3.58 per lb. for prime packer. The local HEB (renowned grocery here in Texas) has prime packer at $5.99. Select packers are usually 1 to 2 bucks a pound less with choice somewhere in between. I haven't looked at flat only prices in awhile. Earlier this year with the wet winter/spring and it's impact on grain crop planting/early growth folks were speculating that it would eventually impact protein prices when the resultant "shortage" of food worked it's way to the market. If prices are or will be going up and/or tightened supply in the near future that may be what's behind it. And yeah, holiday weekends don't motivate for price cutting on food stuffs usually. On a brighter note though, labor day usually triggers clearance sales on outdoor cooking gadgets.:)

Making pastrami today out of some corned beef points I picked up around St. Patrick's Day and have been in the freezer. Pics later

Well...I think I went a little overboard on the amount of pepper in the rub, but it's very good. Just need a little extra Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on the sandwiches to tame the heat.

Rub;
I just eyeballed it so I don't know the amounts

16 mesh black pepper
Whole peppercorns (lightly cracked in mortar)
Whole coriander seed
Ground coriander
Whole yellow mustard seed
Colman's dry mustard
Granulated garlic
...no salt...The corned beef is plenty salty.

Method

Liberally rub the corned beef points with rub. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.

Heat pellet grill to 225 (I used the regular ultimate blend). Smoke briskets until stall at 165. Boost heat to 250. Transfer to aluminum pan. Add 3/4 can of beer (drink other 1/4), wrap in foil and cook until internal of 200-205.

All in all the cook took around 7 hours.

First weekend with the Bull. Got busy..

Bacon wrapped bbq shrimp and salmon (no pic)

8 Half chicken

Smash burgers

Pineapple upside down cake.

Attachments

• 20190902_171913.jpg
    20190902_171913.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20190831_161519.jpg
    20190831_161519.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 67
  • 20190902_145327.jpg
    20190902_145327.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 61

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back