Show us what you're cooking...

I get almost all of my protein from Wild Fork and Angus Choice is my go-to. Almost never buy prime anymore.

I have found the exact same thing when it comes to wild fork, Angus Choice has been excellent.
Bought 2 beef tenderloin 2 weeks ago, one Angus Choice and one Angus Prime as it was only $1 per pound more. Grilled the prime, it was awesome, the choice is in the freezer but I bet there's little to no taste difference.
I vacuum sealed 4 prime filets and I'll compare them to the choices but I bet it's the same or the choice will be better.

Wild forks outside skirt meat is stupid good however to your point, I bought some prime outside and a Angus choice outside skirt meat a while back. I grilled them both the same way and the Angus choice was without doubt better. More flavor and juicer

I have found the exact same thing when it comes to wild fork, Angus Choice has been excellent.
Bought 2 beef tenderloin 2 weeks ago, one Angus Choice and one Angus Prime as it was only $1 per pound more. Grilled the prime, it was awesome, the choice is in the freezer but I bet there's little to no taste difference.
I vacuum sealed 4 prime filets and I'll compare them to the choices but I bet it's the same or the choice will be better.

Wild forks outside skirt meat is stupid good however to your point, I bought some prime outside and a Angus choice outside skirt meat a while back. I grilled them both the same way and the Angus choice was without doubt better. More flavor and juicer
I’m not a choice hater at all, except for Brisket. Could just be my luck but have never had a good choice brisket.

Smoked a brisket for Christmas. 13lb Costco Prime Wagyu brisket seasoned with Zavala's beef rub, my mixture of coarse black pepper and kosher salt and a heavy dusting of meat church holy cow

View attachment 20869

This is my best tasting brisket to date, came out perfect. I had my doubts about this one due to my still learning selection and trimming skills and 2 previous briskets that were less than perfect however those were Market Street choices. Maybe prime makes that much more of a difference.

Started last night at midnight, wrapped (paper) it at 160° flat /164° point about 5:30am and took it off around 2PM today; 14 hour smoke. It had been at 202°/205° since noon but I wanted to see what a couple extra hours would do.

View attachment 20870

View attachment 20871

Vac packed some trimmings for stuffed jalapenos next week
View attachment 20872

It came out outstanding and I have my seasoning combo locked in now

You don't know how good that looks to me. I can almost smell the smokey beef in my dreams. Got hit with covid a week ago on a hunting trip 600 miles from home. Home now, but can't taste or smell anything. Over a week of chicken soup and turkey sandwiches has me ready to start praying to the bbq gods and doing smoke dances, waving rib bones to the heavens. 😁

You don't know how good that looks to me. I can almost smell the smokey beef in my dreams. Got hit with covid a week ago on a hunting trip 600 miles from home. Home now, but can't taste or smell anything. Over a week of chicken soup and turkey sandwiches has me ready to start praying to the bbq gods and doing smoke dances, waving rib bones to the heavens. 😁
Feel better soon!!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Don't anger the BBQ Gods!

I’m not a choice hater at all, except for Brisket. Could just be my luck but have never had a good choice brisket.

I've bought some choice briskets (market street) and they weren't good, that may be the choice vs prime caveat. Every prime brisket I've bought has been great so Im in agreement with you there although WF has some nice looking angus choice briskets @ $5.99lb but with Costco's primes coming out so good every time it'd be hard for me to venture away from them

Get well and get back to smokin!!

Get a head start on New Year Resolution to lose weight? Since nothing tastes good to you anyway...
You can fall off sooner after New Year since you started earlier, and get back to normal. ;)

Well, that’s a bummer! Hope you get things back to normal soon. Several of our family members came down with Covid last week as well, so we’ve delayed our Christmas celebration a bit until everyone is feeling better.

Get a head start on New Year Resolution to lose weight? Since nothing tastes good to you anyway...
You can fall off sooner after New Year since you started earlier, and get back to normal. ;)
Yeah, dropped over 10 lbs in less than a week. But it was a lot of water. Down about 6 lbs now.

Well, that’s a bummer! Hope you get things back to normal soon. Several of our family members came down with Covid last week as well, so we’ve delayed our Christmas celebration a bit until everyone is feeling better.
Yeah....I got behind the curve and didn't get the wife anything. She's cutting me some slack. But, not too happy. Still, Santa has been very good to me this year and I told her I'd get her a new vehicle soon. She just has to decide which one.

Feel better!

Christmas Eve was a choice standing roast. It was on sale for $6/lb with coupon. Butcher asked how much and my wife said a big one, 17lbs later.... I cut a 3 bone roast and that was 8 pounds, there's a few pounds cooked, vacuumed sealed and in the freezer and four 2+lb steaks vacuumed sealed in the freezer for another day. And some dinner rolls that I started the night before.

Details: SPOG and cooked at 225 until 118. Rested for ~1.5 hours, peak temp while resting was 132. I think it took about 4h 15m.

Packaged Roast.jpg

Rolls.jpg

Sliced.jpg

Cooked.jpg

And today, first attempt at cold smoking salmon that's been curing for 3 days and then drying out overnight and cheese. Also some baguettes I made for Christmas Day. Can you tell which was the first baguette I ever made? They were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, no complaints.

Baguettes.jpg

Salmon.jpg

Cheese.jpg

Christmas Eve was a choice standing roast. It was on sale for $6/lb with coupon. Butcher asked how much and my wife said a big one, 17lbs later.... I cut a 3 bone roast and that was 8 pounds, there's a few pounds cooked, vacuumed sealed and in the freezer and four 2+lb steaks vacuumed sealed in the freezer for another day. And some dinner rolls that I started the night before.

Details: SPOG and cooked at 225 until 118. Rested for ~1.5 hours, peak temp while resting was 132. I think it took about 4h 15m.

View attachment 20884

View attachment 20885

View attachment 20886

View attachment 20887

Harris Ranch is a favorite around here.

can’t wait to see my next cholesterol result 😂
Don't worry. We live in the 21st century. There's a pill for that. My doc (who admitted he likes BBQ) and I have an understanding. I plan on living my life on my terms. If he wants to try and combat it with medicine so be it. I'm not planning on me being a good looking corpse. At this point, I'm going out swinging and enjoying life. (That also goes for all of the really dumb things I did in my youth that creates aches and pains every day).

Don't worry. We live in the 21st century. There's a pill for that. My doc (who admitted he likes BBQ) and I have an understanding. I plan on living my life on my terms. If he wants to try and combat it with medicine so be it. I'm not planning on me being a good looking corpse. At this point, I'm going out swinging and enjoying life. (That also goes for all of the really dumb things I did in my youth that creates aches and pains every day).
Ive lost 40 lbs in the last 3 months on a mostly Carnivore diet lol. Ill deal with the rest later!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back