Slim pickin’s at Costco today!

Jim6820

Crazy Ol’ Basque
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Went to our local Costco today, hoping to find some of those Wagyu/Angus briskets that some have recently found in their stores. There were only a few (6-7) briskets, all USDA Choice. The same was true with the prime rib roasts; maybe a dozen (mostly larger sizes; 8-12 pounds) and all were USDA Choice. There were 10 million turkeys, however. 🤣

I guess this is the wrong time to be buying USDA Prime beef. :unsure:

Prime rib has been $5.99/lb all week at the local store. (Jewel)
Had one last night, 4 more on deck. Gotta stock up when they're this price.
It's choice, but some have nice marbling and some have no marbling. Choose wisely.

Sorry you missed out. The store I found the Wagyu is also out now. They had some picked over Prime but the flat was so thin that it wasn’t worth buying (unless you want the point and will be grinding the flat for burgers). I am stalking my location in hopes that I can pick up some 7 bone Wagyu Standing Rib Roasts. They are a little expensive but when you absolutely want a well marbled prime rib, the Spinalis Dorsi (a.k.a. cap) usually meets the 2” or greater size requirement and you can cut them down to steaks when needed.

Sorry you missed out. The store I found the Wagyu is also out now. They had some picked over Prime but the flat was so thin that it wasn’t worth buying (unless you want the point and will be grinding the flat for burgers). I am stalking my location in hopes that I can pick up some 7 bone Wagyu Standing Rib Roasts. They are a little expensive but when you absolutely want a well marbled prime rib, the Spinalis Dorsi (a.k.a. cap) usually meets the 2” or greater size requirement and you can cut them down to steaks when needed.
The person at the meat counter said he didn’t think they’ve had any Wagyu or Angus “in a long time.” Maybe your good luck was just a regional thing.

You are right. I’ve noticed different stores carry different items. Costco now has large and small store categories according to one of the managers I spoke with recently. My membership dates back to the days of Price Club and at that time most places were lucky to have any store. After many months of mediocre selection, the stores in SoCal have better inventory of prime but they are hit and miss for Wagyu. Right before Christmas will be the next spike in selection around here. Don’t know if the Item Number will help but it is 43790. Perhaps you can call around and locate something.

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0069.jpeg

I hadn't seen the wagyu briskets in our store. They do carry the wagyu steaks. Maybe the briskets were there and I just didn't look. I haven't had the time or energy to bbq for months.

I don’t a know about small and large store categories but I have seen business center stores that cater to business. Everything is super large. Gallon cans, 50lb bags, most items sold by the case. Commercial size and grade appliances, and restaurant supplies.

We recently drove from FL to Mi. Stopped at many Costcos along the way. There are 2 types of stores. One that is laid out with the grocery section on the right side and other with it on the left side of the store. They all seemed to be the same size just laid out different. Products sold were different per the region. Prices were also different for the same product. We seen some great stuff in the stores but it needed to be refrigerated. Our local store doesn’t carry some of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back