Bull Steaks on my Bull.

Master Blaster

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey folks, just thinking about trying some steaks out Friday or Saturday night on my Bull and would appreciate any tips or suggestions any of you would be willing to share? I don't have the sear plates, but I'm sure I can work around that and would love to see how my RT-700 performs! :)

Thanks in advance!

Hey folks, just thinking about trying some steaks out Friday or Saturday night on my Bull and would appreciate any tips or suggestions any of you would be willing to share? I don't have the sear plates, but I'm sure I can work around that and would love to see how my RT-700 performs! :)

Thanks in advance!
I'd like some steak advice too......I don't want to use my gas grill!

Thanks in advance!
What kind of steaks do you have? I usually start the steaks at low 180 degrees. Until internal temp of 110. Take off the grill and crank up to max- 500ish. Monitor internal until 139ish for medium rare.

I get excellent results with a reverse sear. Takes a while, but:

Prime fillets from Sam’s; if they have light blue trays in the beef section you grab those because they will be Prime beef. Season with salt and pepper. Slow smoked at 200 until they reached an internal temp of 125 (takes a couple hours), covered with foil and rested for a little over an hour. They peaked at about 133 and when they were back down to 125 they were pan-seared for one minute per side in a cast iron skillet with grape seed oil heated until it was just starting to smoke.
BF7D0333-EA53-4662-A4FE-418E4254F2F6.jpeg

I get excellent results with a reverse sear. Takes a while, but:

Prime fillets from Sam’s; if they have light blue trays in the beef section you grab those because they will be Prime beef. Season with salt and pepper. Slow smoked at 200 until they reached an internal temp of 125 (takes a couple hours), covered with foil and rested for a little over an hour. They peaked at about 133 and when they were back down to 125 they were pan-seared for one minute per side in a cast iron skillet with grape seed oil heated until it was just starting to smoke.
View attachment 3620
That last sear step is like doing steaks sous vide. Cook to right temp then hot hot hot sear. ??

Thanks in advance!

Try reverse sear on cast iron.

That last sear step is like doing steaks sous vide. Cook to right temp then hot hot hot sear. ??
Result is similar but with a proper crust and a hint of smoke. I have done both and what I get on the bull is much better. I like to use the lumberjack char hickory pellets to get a bit of that charcoal grill flavor. Also with the bull you have to do the long rest because it’s going to continue to rise in temp after you pull it off, which doesn’t happen with sous vide.

What kind of steaks do you have? I usually start the steaks at low 180 degrees. Until internal temp of 110. Take off the grill and crank up to max- 500ish. Monitor internal until 139ish for medium rare.
I'm gonna grab some New York strip steaks (my family's favorite) or perhaps some Ribeys (2nd favorite) depending on what looks good.

Appreciate all the tips posted by everyone. I'm gonna try both finishing methods mentioned, on the grill and using cast iron and see which is the biggest hit!

I'm gonna grab some New York strip steaks (my family's favorite) or perhaps some Ribeys (2nd favorite) depending on what looks good.

Appreciate all the tips posted by everyone. I'm gonna try both finishing methods mentioned, on the grill and using cast iron and see which is the biggest hit!
No problem. Send us pics of the cook ??

Tried my hand at reverse searing some nice New York strip steaks for dinner.....6-8ozs each. 200F for around 1 1/4 hrs took them to 125F. Just a couple of minutes in a hot pan to sear them and they were looking good! Nice medium rare and a light to medium smoke flavor, you definitely get the hickory in the Rec Tec blend pellets. Not sure if my process was exactly correct but they sure came out tasty! Appreciate all the tips given here.

Attachments

• 20200508_175359.jpg
    20200508_175359.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 152
  • 20200508_185326.jpg
    20200508_185326.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 139
  • 20200508_182103.jpg
    20200508_182103.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 149
  • 20200508_183301.jpg
    20200508_183301.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Tried my hand at reverse searing some nice New York strip steaks for dinner.....6-8ozs each. 200F for around 1 1/4 hrs took them to 125F. Just a couple of minutes in a hot pan to sear them and they were looking good! Nice medium rare and a light to medium smoke flavor, you definitely get the hickory in the Rec Tec blend pellets. Not sure if my process was exactly correct but theyIn sure came out tasty! Appreciate all the tips given here.
Looks great. You did a nice job. ??

Man. Reverse sear is extremely high on my list of current priority’s. Always thought u had to do a 2-3” cut, but your pics tell me it will work for just about any. Been hoarding everything I see for the last few weeks and prob have 25+ lbs of assorted goodies. Haha

question for the forum. Are you guys doing the cast iron skillet on the bull, or bring them inside on the range? I also got the grill grates and some say turning them flat side up gives good searing results too. Thx!

Man. Reverse sear is extremely high on my list of current priority’s. Always thought u had to do a 2-3” cut, but your pics tell me it will work for just about any. Been hoarding everything I see for the last few weeks and prob have 25+ lbs of assorted goodies. Haha

question for the forum. Are you guys doing the cast iron skillet on the bull, or bring them inside on the range? I also got the grill grates and some say turning them flat side up gives good searing results too. Thx!
Grill grates are very good. All your preference. Flat side up, no grill marks but really good overall sear, grates up, pretty good sear but has gill marks. I prefer the flat
side up- more sear=more flavor. ?? PS we had 2" of snow last night temp is 30 degrees, MAY 9 !!!!!!!!

Thanks! I like more of a sear from flat surface as well. I hear you on the cold. 32 here this morning. Hope the cold and wind doesn’t mess up my first reverse sear today!

Get the seat grates. They are amazing. I use mine all the time on my gas grill as well as on my RecTec. They stop all flare ups on a gas grill. That way you can cook your chicken and never flare up. Put rectec on 500 and sear those steaks the right way. Lol

Man. Reverse sear is extremely high on my list of current priority’s. Always thought u had to do a 2-3” cut, but your pics tell me it will work for just about any.
Get the seat grates. They are amazing. I use mine all the time on my gas grill as well as on my RecTec. They stop all flare ups on a gas grill. That way you can cook your chicken and never flare up. Put rectec on 500 and sear those steaks the right way. Lol
Those strip steaks were an inch or so thick......beef prices here in Southern Bartertown are thru the roof with the current situation.....at least I found some nice ones! :)

Definitely gonna pick up the sear grates as soon as they're back in stock. Numerous people here have recommended them. Excited to try the high heat method too. The low and slow/pan searing method was easy enough and produced great results. The method doesn't matter much to me as long as it's tasty!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadefarm
Back