Steaming Corned Beef Brisket Flat

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
A little off topic, but related to all the corned beef threads recently.

I put a half brisket flat in a Dutch Oven, raised up couple inches above the bottom with a rack and about an inch of water. I started it about 1/2 hour ago and the internal temperature is already 174F. The flat is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" thick at the thickest point.

This method of steaming is new to me. Anyone have an idea of how long it takes to cook a brisket flat by steaming?

I think I have my answer. 1 hour in and parts of it are 201 other parts 195 ish. I'm going to keep it slightly less done than smoked brisket poke tender, because I'm thin slicing for sandwiches.

A little off topic, but related to all the corned beef threads recently.

I put a half brisket flat in a Dutch Oven, raised up couple inches above the bottom with a rack and about an inch of water. I started it about 1/2 hour ago and the internal temperature is already 174F. The flat is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" thick at the thickest point.

This method of steaming is new to me. Anyone have an idea of how long it takes to cook a brisket flat by steaming?
How did it come out? I've never steamed it. It was corned right?

I took it to about 209 or so, it was just shy of probe tender. It probed tender around the edges. So, I stopped the steaming.

I had it twice today. Both times in a Ruben.

So, this wasn't a wagyu or prime, so it was a bit dry. I decided I'd thinly slice and heat it in some beef stock. That completely changed it. My wife and I really liked the moist meat.

The rye was Costco, the thousand Island was my wife's home made and I used pepper jack cheese and some Boar's Head sour kraut. It was so good at lunch, I had to fix another half for my bachelor dinner night.
20220407_191943.jpg
20220407_192607.jpg
20220407_192622.jpg

This corned brisket was another freezer find, dated a year ago. I recall curing a whole flat and freezing half. I wasn't sure it would be good, so I went with just steaming it. It is really pretty good 👍

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back