The “Heavy D” Stick Burning Heat Diffuser

Rectech family,

I have a question about the Smoke Daddy heavy D stick burner heat diffusion. With the flagship 1100, will the heavy D work inside of it? Has anyone tried this before, and does it add a deeper level of smoke flavor, or is it a waste of money?

Link to Heavy D: https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

Thanks.
AP
I have used it and wasn't a fan. Wood needs to be chunks, it's a pain to reach, and wasn't worth the effort for me. A smoke tube is less expensive and easier to work with IMHO.

Rectech family,

I have a question about the Smoke Daddy heavy D stick burner heat diffusion. With the flagship 1100, will the heavy D work inside of it? Has anyone tried this before, and does it add a deeper level of smoke flavor, or is it a waste of money?

Link to Heavy D: https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

Thanks.
AP
I have one in my RT-700. I’ve not put wood in it for years now because as mentioned it is not convenient to get to. Smoking chunks are not hard to find, so I don’t see that alone being a drawback. I’ve kept it in the grill because it doesn’t warp like my OEM part did, but with today’s cast iron deflectors that is no longer an issue anyway.

The heavy D diffuser is made for a side feed pellet hopper so therefore on the flagship 1100 or on the Bull like I have, it sits lower to the firepot. This will affect the grill getting to high temps from my experience. You could (what I have heard others do) put firebricks to propt it up higher though.

I messed around with this for awhile but stopped using it. I also have the Magnum PIG cold smoker from SmokeDaddy and that works a lot better and can be feed. Though I will say all the tricks I've tried for extra smoke flavor, the easiest way is to just use a smoke tube with wood chips mixed into the tube with pellets. That does a great job and it a ton cheaper and doesn't require any grill modifications.

Two traits of the device made it a non starter for me. First I didn’t notice a stronger smoke profile. Second, instructions tell you to crack open the lid to help release the extra heat being added to the pit. In my experience with my RT700, cracking open the lid made the pit temps oscillate radically. Thus I had to babysit the pit which defeats the main benefit of a pellet grill.

Two traits of the device made it a non starter for me. First I didn’t notice a stronger smoke profile. Second, instructions tell you to crack open the lid to help release the extra heat being added to the pit. In my experience with my RT700, cracking open the lid made the pit temps oscillate radically. Thus I had to babysit the pit which defeats the main benefit of a pellet grill.
I personally did not follow those instructions when I used it.

What I would do because I didn't have wood logs that could do into there, I would add wood chunks however I would line the inter area with foil and poke holes in the foil with the wood chunks in there. This would allow the wood to not ignite but provide more smoke. This became a pain though and honestly didn't notice a big smoke profile difference. However, this is the way I would suggest folks to use it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back