Stampede The "Heavy D" Stick Burning Heat Diffuser

Mark Ryan

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I got one for me Stampede 590 and I am in love with this thing...I've used it on high temp cooks and low and it seems to be a match made in heaven. It says in the instructions to prop the door open a little but I just use it the same and my temps are pinned. I've noticed a theme on the people who tend to have success with them tend to be Rec Tec people. Not sure but It adds a grip of smoke flaves and color. Highly recommend to folks out there that are looking to add more smoke to their cook.

I briefly considered one but quickly lost interest when reading their recommendation to prop the lid open. Given your feedback, maybe I'll look at it again.

I briefly considered one but quickly lost interest when reading their recommendation to prop the lid open. Given your feedback, maybe I'll look at it again.
They send these big solid chunks of oak that fill the chambers complete, I decided that when I use those I only use one side, I have these crab apple logs that I use on both sides at a time and it works perfect like that, also, btw, using the big chunks on both sides may work brilliantly, I just havent tried that. If you decide to pull the trigger, it makes pellet grilling a bit more rewarding when you get these kind of results...

20200212_170745.jpg

I too really like the looks and idea of the Heavy D diffuser but my stock Rec Tec diffuser has been working perfectly for me and hasn't warped at all yet. I guess I'm just lucky.

If the time comes, I'll likely replace it with the HeavyD.

I too really like the looks and idea of the Heavy D diffuser but my stock Rec Tec diffuser has been working perfectly for me and hasn't warped at all yet. I guess I'm just lucky.

Mike have you done any high-heat cooks?...I'm wondering what the difference could be?

Mike have you done any high-heat cooks?...I'm wondering what the difference could be?
I can't tell you how many times I've cooked burgers on the Rec Tec Bull. All of them done at 500. Granted most of those cooks are cooking 4-8 burgers so not very long extended cooks. A handful however were long cooks making a lot of food while entertaining.

Only thing I can guess is that I've been lucky.

@Mark Ryan I appreciate your report and the added info you provide beyond the "I bought this and like it".

There are a number of "mods" that people contemplate that sometimes leads me to believe they've forgotten what the fire triangle is; fuel, air, ignition. In your example it's worthwhile to keep in mind that the pellets are supplied forced air from the internal fan. Those wood chunks on the sides of the deflector will primarily be supplied by ambient air, both what comes out of the fire pot and what enters from the other designed portals; grease vent, lid periphery, etc. There was a well intentioned suggestion on these boards sometime in the past week or two that contemplated blocking off a couple exhaust ports to "keep more smoke in", presumably to increase the absorbed smoke flavor. Cute idea, until you realize that the cook chamber wants to seek equilibrium of intake and exhaust air volume. We need sufficient exhaust area to induce air flow to maintain the fire in addition to the forced draft. The wood chunks need enough heat to induce the wood cells to gasify so those gases will burn enough to create smoke. That process is likely what is behind the recommendation to "crack the lid", and likely also it only needs what appears to our eyes as a slight amount.

Maybe they switch material or producer?... Mine definitely warped but hasn't affected a cook as far as I know .. might be time to remeasure everything just in case.

But does ypur stock crank out delicious smoke?
@Mark Ryan I appreciate your report and the added info you provide beyond the "I bought this and like it".

There are a number of "mods" that people contemplate that sometimes leads me to believe they've forgotten what the fire triangle is; fuel, air, ignition. In your example it's worthwhile to keep in mind that the pellets are supplied forced air from the internal fan. Those wood chunks on the sides of the deflector will primarily be supplied by ambient air, both what comes out of the fire pot and what enters from the other designed portals; grease vent, lid periphery, etc. There was a well intentioned suggestion on these boards sometime in the past week or two that contemplated blocking off a couple exhaust ports to "keep more smoke in", presumably to increase the absorbed smoke flavor. Cute idea, until you realize that the cook chamber wants to seek equilibrium of intake and exhaust air volume. We need sufficient exhaust area to induce air flow to maintain the fire in addition to the forced draft. The wood chunks need enough heat to induce the wood cells to gasify so those gases will burn enough to create smoke. That process is likely what is behind the recommendation to "crack the lid", and likely also it only needs what appears to our eyes as a slight amount.
I think that the reason that so many folks are having issues with it is partially Smoke Daddy (the manufacturer)s fault, To put two honking chunks of oak post wood in the two chambers FULL, (as recommended or at least implied due to the posts that come with) Is bound to create too much heat. That much wood burning in a small enclosed area even without pellets is going to go well beyond a low/slow smoking temp. I think that even if it adds about 45 minutes of really good intense smoke before it burns the fuel out of the chamber/s, with the added mild smoke that the pellets in the stampede tend to offer on a standard 250-400 degree cook, that should be plenty smoke flavor save your "smoke freaks" that want their meat to taste like it sat through a Forrest fire. In other words I don't think its necessary to pack the thing FULL to get the desired effect.

I can't tell you how many times I've cooked burgers on the Rec Tec Bull. All of them done at 500. Granted most of those cooks are cooking 4-8 burgers so not very long extended cooks. A handful however were long cooks making a lot of food while entertaining.

Only thing I can guess is that I've been lucky.
@Mike I measured mine again and it has gotten worse and is rubbing the underside of the drip pan now..(also looks twisted as both ends have rise now).. I held off as you know, but I'm going to ask CS for a replacement now. Hopefully I get a non-warping one this time*
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200222144510548_COVER.jpg

@Mike I measured mine again and it has gotten worse and is rubbing the underside of the drip pan now..(also looks twisted as both ends have rise now).. I held off as you know, but I'm going to ask CS for a replacement now. Hopefully I get a non-warping one this time*
View attachment 2189
Will you let us know how that goes with CS? I called on this in the past and they said it is “normal” and should not affect cooking. My assumption is that if they send a new one the same thing is going to happen to it.

@Simarti28 Well, unfortunately, it has "become the norm" for alot of them to warp. But a warping heat deflector should not be "normal" imo. Especially on a $1200 smoker. I waited for many months before requesting a replacement because at the time, When I reported it to them it's true, it wasn't affecting cooking. But now, it's pushing on the drip pan and I've noticed I get a lot of burned juice on the pan instead drained in the bucket.

It's true that it won't fix the problem RecTec has going on, but it will keep MY problem from worsening. I might even luck out this time and receive one that doesn't warp. I've measured it them and now and it has become worse. Originally when I reported it Customer Service told me that it was my option to replace it. I kept that Email and did so yesterday. I'll let you know what they reply. Their CS is usually TOP NOTCH*

Also, search this forum because there are posts and videos on the deflector warping and pushing up on the drain pan where it affects deainage , even making the deflector raise up,wobble and be unlevel. I'm at the point where it's principle. Thy have two known issues that in the time I've owned my Bull haven't been resolved that also imo should have been by now. (Heat shield/ App.)

View attachment 2189
Dang. Yeah I'd certainly reach out to customer service for sure or just take the plung to a Heavy D.

@Mike @Mark Ryan I hear ya bud, I feel for the price it shouldn't warp at all. Or they should correct the problem. I gave it a long time without complaint but now it's gotten worse. It's be like buying a Caddy and the heater is jacked up causing other problems so you have to turn to a aftermarket company... Lol

@Mike I hear ya bud, I feel for the price it shouldn't warp at all. Or they should correct the problem. I gave it a long time without complaint but now it's gotten worse. It's be like buying a Caddy and the heater is jacked up causing other problems so you have to turn to a aftermarket company... Lol
oh it wont warp... its a tank

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back