Water pan

motorman27

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Keeping in mind I'm new to pellet smoking, can a water pan be used or even should it be, anybody use one in thier smokers? i was used to using one in my MES for several years. Comments?

@motorman27 you certainly can and if I'm not mistaken I believe I've seen the Rec Tec crew use one a time or two in some of their Youtube cooking videos.

That said, I haven't used one in my Rec Tec Bull. So far haven't had a need to as everything has come out very juicy.

I used one on mine and will most likely always use one and @Mike is correct, they have used water pans in their videos.

I am with Mike. I think I have seen the Rec Tec guys use it before. I have never used one for any of my cooks. I have had many long cooks with butt/shoulder/brisket and short high temp cooks wings/thighs/leg of lamb and all have come out awesome without a water pan. Not saying I might not be missing something by not using.

RecTec's own FAQ's say use of one is not necessary.

Do I need a water pan?

No, your REC TEC Grill uses wood pellets with enough moisture content to prevent your food from drying out. Additionally, water pans will create steam inside your cooking chamber and limit your grill's ability to measure temperature accurately.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/faq/

RecTec's own FAQ's say use of one is not necessary.

Do I need a water pan?

No, your REC TEC Grill uses wood pellets with enough moisture content to prevent your food from drying out. Additionally, water pans will create steam inside your cooking chamber and limit your grill's ability to measure temperature accurately.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/faq/
Thanks for all the information, I wasn't sure if it was really needed or would help. TXGunLover your info does kinda make sense also, thanks.

Like many situations in life, it will depend on who you talk to. I've got a neighbor who's wife fell in love with my Stampede and bought one for each her husband and one of their sons. Her son loves his, I love mine, the ribs and everything else come out pretty darn good to even better than that. But...……..her husband did his own cook off on their patio between the Stampede and his old "water smoker" as he calls it and he swears the ribs only come out right in his "water smoker". Sigh...……………………….I've had his ribs......………….our opinions differ. Just sayin'...…….

LOL Uncle Bob,

I have a sister that swears hand cranked ice cream is better that electric cranked!

I will use one on my stick burner, but not my Trailblazer. I have never noticed the need to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back