Wood Pellet Storage

AnotherRTUser

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Have a dumb question --- I bought several 5 gallon buckets (w/ lids) to store my pellets in. Question now is -- where can I store the buckets to keep the pellets as fresh as possible?

I know weather can play a role in the "breakdown" of the pellets. I've got 2 outdoor buildings, but they can get extremely hot inside during the summer and very cold inside during the winter. Worried about humidity.

I guess I can see if the wife will agree to let me keep them inside somewhere.

I know the 5 gallon bucket will keep pellets dry but is it possible that it will also guard against different weather conditions?

Thanks...

Oops... Sorry for this thread...

Did a search about pellet storage before I wrote this thread and didn't find anything. However I found some comments about this issue this afternoon, so I'm not sure what went wrong on the earlier search.

Anyway, my bad...

@AnotherRTUser Sure we like to have users use the search, but if you can't find it you can't find it - so no worries at all. That's what this place is here for, to ask questions and share experiences.

Like @cookingjnj, I too store my pellets in the garage without issue.

I find used Ragu jars are great for storage.. They stack easy and don't take up space... ;)

All kidding aside, I use 5 gallon paint buckets with gamma lids and store them on shelves in my garage. Luckily here in Nevada, we don't get much, if any, humidity so I could technically store them outdoors as it stays pretty dry, just really hot..

………….... Luckily here in Nevada, we don't get much, if any, humidity ......……..

Well, unless you live in the NW corner of the area (e.g. Summerlin) then you can count on flash flooding right down your street. ?:)

I find used Ragu jars are great for storage.. They stack easy and don't take up space... ;)

All kidding aside, I use 5 gallon paint buckets with gamma lids and store them on shelves in my garage. Luckily here in Nevada, we don't get much, if any, humidity so I could technically store them outdoors as it stays pretty dry, just really hot..
YOU SO SUCK!! lol

I would not have a problem if I had a garage....right now my bags are being used as end tables...lol

I live in Charleston, SC. One of the most humid places in the US and mine have been fine in the stock bag stored in the garage...

I also leave mine in the hopper untill its empty. Smoker is stored in the garage as well

Same here, mine are in hopper, and also in garage in screw on lid 5gal. Buckets..... Haven't had any problems.

I skimmed this and didnt read the other thread so if this was already said please ignore. If the pellets are kept in their bags off the ground and dry they will be fine under a great majority of situations. If they are kept in an airtight container (i keep mine in a large dog food container) your largest concern in condensation. Im on west coast so we get a little humidity at times but nothing that will cause any condensation to build inside container, however i still occasionally open the container to let it breath from time to time. Also like to take any of those moisture packets i am going to throw away that comes in everything and toss them on top of the pile and just swap them out as needed. Nothing like free moisture control.

I live in Charleston, SC. One of the most humid places in the US and mine have been fine in the stock bag stored in the garage...

I also leave mine in the hopper untill its empty. Smoker is stored in the garage as well
I’m just across the bridge in Mount Pleasant and do basically the same...keep my hopper loaded up and the rest in the bag (taped shut) stored in the shed with never a problem. I’ve got a large outdoor kitchen w/ roof and keep the Bull Outside. Love this thing

Man small world. I actually live in Summerville. Still across the pond from me.. that's cool.. Well if I ever get a RT SC chapter going ill know at least one person to invite hahah..

I love this smoker as well... Glad I traded in my onther smoker, that I shall not name here, in for this beauty...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back