Bull BFG auger motor in the RT-700. It's awesome!

In an effort to contribute here's my findings:

I checked my Bull firmware version that I purchased in March and it's 1.05 and auger will go below 30.

Frankenstein firmware version is 3.0 and will NOT go below 30. Now, if I can get RT to upgrade the controller on Frankenstein (Traeger) that will be awesome customer service!

I haven't checked the 680 but suspect it's version 4.0 / 5.0.

In an effort to contribute here's my findings:

I checked my Bull firmware version that I purchased in March and it's 1.05 and auger will go below 30.

Frankenstein firmware version is 3.0 and will NOT go below 30. Now, if I can get RT to upgrade the controller on Frankenstein (Traeger) that will be awesome customer service!

I haven't checked the 680 but suspect it's version 4.0 / 5.0.
Does RecTeq go backwards numerically with firmware versions?

I have version 1.6.6 (279)... Whatever that means. Or, is this the version of the app on my phone? How do you find the firmware version in the controller? Anyway, I was able to change the feed rate to 15.

Last edited:
Does RecTeq go backwards numerically with firmware versions?

I have version 1.6.6 (279)... Whatever that means. Or, is this the version of the app on my phone? How do you find the firmware version in the controller? Anyway, I was able to change the feed rate to 15.
Power on will display the version of controller. Sounds like the 1.6.6. is app version.

Quick Update on the Smoke Daddy version of the upgrade. I tried to do a couple of test fires, just to ensure everything was working well. Glad I did, because there was an issue. I was getting flame outs, the first test it wouldn’t even go above 115, and the second it got up into the 350 range before dropping slowly down to the mid 200s. At first, I suspected bad pellets, but it turned out to be the cooling fan on the auger getting caught on the housing still. The gearing is all attached, so if the fan isn’t spinning, the auger isn’t either.

To fix this, I emptied out the hopper, and pellets in the auger tube, and took the out the two screws that hold the white nylon bushing in place. I removed it all and replaced the keeper pin with a bolt, nut, and a lock washer just to be safe. The keeper pin is too large to fit into the auger tube, and everything had to be pushed forward a little to give the fan on the back enough clearance.

While I had it apart again, I looked more at the Smoke Daddy bracket. Sadly, as it is, I don’t see a way to make it work. When it’s all the way forward, the motor axle does not reach the auger shaft. The shaft can be pulled back, but then the fan sticks out so much the housing can’t go on at all.

So, I thought about just flipping the bracket around. This could work, but it would need further modification. The hole for the motor is off center, and by flipping it around, the bolt holes for mounting no longer line up properly. The hole be could cut bigger, but that will wait for another day.

Attached are some pics of the mount

EDIT: Didn’t think about it at the time, but if I flip the motor upside down, the holes might line up properly on the bracket. I’ll give it a try at some point!

Attachments

• 60ADEEEB-BE14-42A3-95C3-8479FE6CE9D7.jpeg
    60ADEEEB-BE14-42A3-95C3-8479FE6CE9D7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • FBA0B690-D439-4F2D-94C8-8BCB0A97C589.jpeg
    FBA0B690-D439-4F2D-94C8-8BCB0A97C589.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • C52F1CD0-8B6D-4452-BC12-800A1DBE0FE3.jpeg
    C52F1CD0-8B6D-4452-BC12-800A1DBE0FE3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • 369A2E86-34D4-4034-903E-DA04FA80BA83.jpeg
    369A2E86-34D4-4034-903E-DA04FA80BA83.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
That sucks , thanks for the info tho , I was gonna order my bracket tonight , let us know if u find a way to make it work

That sucks , thanks for the info tho , I was gonna order my bracket tonight , let us know if u find a way to make it work
Why do you need the bracket?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back