First Butt!

TonyBrown32

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Got the 700 last week, put the first long cook on at midnight last night..

8lb Boston butt.. at the 12 hour mark at 225 right now... probe temp is still only 175..

This timing seem common? I was expecting about 12 hours at 1.5hrs per lb... looks like it has a ways to go yet though.. sound about right to y'all?

I didnt wrap at all... I'm not at all pressed for time

Thoughts welcome!

Did you use the LO setting at the beginning of the cook? I ask this because that does seem to be a pretty long cook time for an 8 pounder, but just like a brisket, your stall times will vary. Plus you didn't wrap it, so there was no additional help to increase cook time. At least at 175 IT, it should start cruising along from there.

This one does seems to be a bit on the extreme side of things time-wise, but as long as the internal temps are correct you should be in good shape. :)

Thanks, fingers crossed the probes are accurate and the internal thermometer isnt off.. :)

I just set it to 225, didnt use low smoke at all.. and only peeked once this morning when I got up..

I calibrated the probes in ice water, and they should be good.. they read within a couple degrees of the internal grill temp as well the other night testing it out so all should be well there.

I was thinking it should start moving along a little faster now that its above 170 too, thanks for confirming that suspicion..

Heres how she looks now... and feels a little softer to touch than it did even an hour ago.. things are happening.. lol..

Attachments

• 20200723_125224.jpg
    20200723_125224.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
Thanks, fingers crossed the probes are accurate and the internal thermometer isnt off.. :)

I just set it to 225, didnt use low smoke at all.. and only peeked once this morning when I got up..

I calibrated the probes in ice water, and they should be good.. they read within a couple degrees of the internal grill temp as well the other night testing it out so all should be well there.

I was thinking it should start moving along a little faster now that its above 170 too, thanks for confirming that suspicion..

Heres how she looks now... and feels a little softer to touch than it did even an hour ago.. things are happening.. lol..
And remember! If you're looking, you're not cooking!! :D

Seriously though, this is also why I don't bother spritzing and choose to wrap. Especially with butts & ribs because you can add apple juice, beer, or a combo of both. Or you can apply butter, honey, brown sugar, and sprinkle on more of the rub to create a nice sauce while it's finishing off in the wrap.

And remember! If you're looking, you're not cooking!! :D

Seriously though, this is also why I don't bother spritzing and choose to wrap. Especially with butts & ribs because you can add apple juice, beer, or a combo of both. Or you can apply butter, honey, brown sugar, and sprinkle on more of the rub to create a nice sauce while it's finishing off in the wrap.

Ha! So hard not to look... but I've restrained myself quite well I think, with only these 2-3 peeks so far.

I figured since I wasn't crunched for time, I'd not bother with the wrap this first attempt, and through caution to the wind.. next one I'll wrap at about 160, which is the temp it was at after about 8 hours when I got up to check on it and see which we like better... crispy bark is my favorite part, so wanted as much of that as I could get... I considered wrapping it this morning too when it was at 160 and figured eh... let's just ride it out :)

Guess while we wait I'll have my kids run to the store and pick up some supplies and make a nice mac and cheese to go with later...

I just did a 7 pounder on Sunday. Unwrapped at 225 it took about 15 hours. Sometimes they take a while, but it is always worth it.

It does seem like a long time but like others have said you just never know how long the stall will be. Personally I wouldn’t trust the Rec Tec probes I’d invest a a thermopen

It does seem like a long time but like others have said you just never know how long the stall will be. Personally I wouldn’t trust the Rec Tec probes I’d invest a a thermopen

I have a ThermoPop made my Thermopen... I took a temp with that last look, and was a degree cooler than the probes... so the probes appear to be right on...

I'll just keep incessantly watching my app while I work until it's good and ready to come off... then wrap and put in the cooler.. golf 9 holes and come home to dinner.. should be a good evening..

I had a 9lb go almost 13 hours earlier and that was with a wrap. Sometimes, you just need a plan B if the family gets restless for food. I have been getting up in the morning with these and put it on around 2:30-3:00am, as I want to have at least 1-1/2-2 hours of rest for these. They take forever to ramp down.

Not sure your smoking background, but I'm also a stick burner and when I started using my RT, everything seemed to take longer. Then I realized that's because these things will sit at 225 and cook for hours on end, whereas my stick burner would routinely have temp spikes that accelerated the cooking process.

As mentioned earlier, meat can't tell time, it is done when it says it's done. I am one who does not wrap anymore and get that great bark. Your vid and pic earlier looked great. Can't wait to hear and see the final product. Nice.

As mentioned earlier, meat can't tell time, it is done when it says it's done. I am one who does not wrap anymore and get that great bark. Your vid and pic earlier looked great. Can't wait to hear and see the final product. Nice.

Yeah, I think had I left it at 225 it would have been fine too... just pushed it through the finish a little faster this way... Just pulled it off and looks amazing... it's simply falling apart on it's own and was hard to get off the 700 and over to my foil to wrap it and let it rest a bit...

I think next time I may wrap earlier just so it's easier to handle at the end if it's already in the foil...

finished product attached... good timing, almost 5pm here, so another couple hours in the cooler while sneak 9 holes in and whip up some mac and cheese...

Attachments

• 20200723_164056.jpg
    20200723_164056.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
Looks great! Pulled pork, mac and cheese, AND golf all in the same day!? What am I doing wrong?

Man... that pulled pork was awesome... ended up taking a total of 16.5 hours for that 8lb butt.... 225 most of the time, and 275 the last 2 hours..

Totally worth the wait..

Attachments

• 20200723_190844.jpg
    20200723_190844.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20200723_191934_01.jpg
    IMG_20200723_191934_01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back