Stampede Got my new 590, but...

Scottwig

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I wish I could tell you how it cooks but apparently the RTD probe is faulty. It shows itself at 32F continuously. Couldn’t even finish the burn in. Customer Service has another on the way and I’m anxious to get it going.
I will say that it was, otherwise undamaged, Rec Tec’s packing and shipping are second to none! Five days from placing the online order to sitting at my front door in southern Illinois.
I tested the probe with an ohm meter and got 1.08 ohms and it didn’t change as I heated the probe with a heat gun. It should indicate about 100 ohms and risen as it was heated.

Last edited:
Man that is a real bummer, more like a let down. Hopefully they overnighted a probe out to you.

I wish I could tell you how it cooks but apparently the RTD probe is faulty. It shows itself at 32F continuously. Couldn’t even finish the burn in. Customer Service has another on the way and I’m anxious to get it going.
I will say that it was, otherwise undamaged, Rec Tec’s packing and shipping are second to none! Five days from placing the online order to sitting at my front door in southern Illinois.
I tested the probe with an ohm meter and got 1.08 ohms and it didn’t change as I heated the probe with a heat gun. It should indicate about 100 ohms and risen as it was heated.
Rec Tec has great customer service when something goes wrong. Hopefully you’ll be up and cooking soon. ??

Man that is a real bummer, more like a let down. Hopefully they overnighted a probe out to you.
Nope, just checked with cs again, they sent it snail mail, should be here Saturday. As far as I’m concerned, Rec Tec QC flunked, and Rec Tec CS flunked.

Well, Rec Tec’s legendary customer service still hasn’t gotten a replacement probe to me. They shipped via snail mail and it’s living up to that reputation since their tracking said it would be delivered today, but it wasn’t. So, the score so far, Quality Control 0 for shipping with a failed RTD probe, Customer Service 0 for not shipping overnight, and USPS 0 for missing their own delivery promise. Meanwhile, I’m spending the weekend looking at a shiny new $1000 paperweight on my patio. Ya, I’m a little disappointed....

Well, Rec Tec’s legendary customer service still hasn’t gotten a replacement probe to me. They shipped via snail mail and it’s living up to that reputation since their tracking said it would be delivered today, but it wasn’t. So, the score so far, Quality Control 0 for shipping with a failed RTD probe, Customer Service 0 for not shipping overnight, and USPS 0 for missing their own delivery promise. Meanwhile, I’m spending the weekend looking at a shiny new $1000 paperweight on my patio. Ya, I’m a little disappointed....
I had a similar experience at first and then I started talking to a manager and he went really far out of his way to make it better. I know how frustrating it is to have a to have a grill that doesn’t work. Have you told them to just swap the grill out?

Pretty much anything shipped these COVID-19 days end up taking longer to get to there destination, dosen't matter what company the seller uses for shipping.

Well, the grill got here a day earlier than originally stated in this COVID-19 era, 5 days. The probe will be a minimum 7 days via USPS, if it gets here Monday. Rec Tec could have had a probe here 3 days ago, even in this COVID-19 era. I’ll get over it, but right now I’m still a little steamed to not be able to use the grill that I selected based on the legendary reputation of Rec Tec. Hopefully I’ll be a happy camper by a Tuesday.

Well, the grill got here a day earlier than originally stated in this COVID-19 era, 5 days. The probe will be a minimum 7 days via USPS, if it gets here Monday. Rec Tec could have had a probe here 3 days ago, even in this COVID-19 era. I’ll get over it, but right now I’m still a little steamed to not be able to use the grill that I selected based on the legendary reputation of Rec Tec. Hopefully I’ll be a happy camper by a Tuesday.
Where do you live? I cant believe that probe isn't there. When did it ship out?

Where do you live? I cant believe that probe isn't there. When did it ship out?
Probe was mailed on Monday...USPS tracking says it’s “in transit” scheduled to deliver Sat May 9, it didn’t make it.

All the shipping companies USPS FedEx Amazon UPS have been taking longer to get packages delivered on time due to COVID-19. I've been wating for several packages that should have been here many days ago.

Attachments

• downloadfile-1.gif
    downloadfile-1.gif
    299 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I agree it should be there by now, and I know it's very frustrating... But their customer service is the best I've seen. I wouldn't judge it over this one and first time situation. Also, it's always good to have a handheld or wireless back up not only incase something stops working like this, but to use to verify internal temps. Hope it's there Monday for ya.
Agree RecTec did there part by shipping it out ASAP, USPS took hostage of a 700 yard roll of elastic I ordered for my wife to make masks. Priority Package made it from California to Springfield Massachusetts terminal in a little over a day then took almost a week to get delivered the last 40 miles to Connecticut. I called the postmaster several times and he had no answers.
Next thing is I hope the RTD is what is wrong with the grill.

I agree it should be there by now, and I know it's very frustrating... But their customer service is the best I've seen. I wouldn't judge it over this one and first time situation. Also, it's always good to have a handheld or wireless back up not only incase something stops working like this, but to use to verify internal temps. Hope it's there Monday for ya.
A back up for the RTD probe?

Yes it's always handy to have a handheld instant type to fall back on. Doesn't have to be a 100$ anything. Just one to use in cases like yours or to have a second reading.
I don’t think you understand that you can’t run a RT590 without a RTD probe. There’s no way, that I know of, to control it manually.

Probe was mailed on Monday...USPS tracking says it’s “in transit” scheduled to deliver Sat May 9, it didn’t make it.
I feel the frustration....lets hope USPS drops it off tomorrow and you're rolling by dinner!

I live in southern Illinois.
Since last Monday (a week ago), according to USPS tracking the replacement probe moved about 80 miles... I called Rec Tec CS, left a message. After two hours I emailed support@rectec, and the CS tech that I’d worked with last week, and requested another probe be overnighted ASAP. About 10 minutes later I got emails confirming shipment. About 10 minutes later a follow up call from a different tech in response to my message. So, maybe I’ll be making smoke tomorrow.

Since last Monday (a week ago), according to USPS tracking the replacement probe moved about 80 miles... I called Rec Tec CS, left a message. After two hours I emailed support@rectec, and the CS tech that I’d worked with last week, and requested another probe be overnighted ASAP. About 10 minutes later I got emails confirming shipment. About 10 minutes later a follow up call from a different tech in response to my message. So, maybe I’ll be making smoke tomorrow.
New probe arrived overnight, problem persists. New controller is on the way, should be here tomorrow...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back