Possible remote start work around - USE AT YOUR OWN RSK

10000000000000000000%

We are the only species on this planet that continually prevents proper evolution. We prevent Nature from takings its intended course.
My Point of View = Remove the warning labels on every device, everywhere.
If you are too stupid to operate the device, and die because of that stupidity, well, that's a good thing. The Human race just won by reducing the chance that person procreated and passed along the stupid-gene on to another generation.
I had a hair dryer that the warning label said do not use in shower
to have that warning someone must have done it

I think if you don't use the recteq app - there's no way to update the firmware on the grill.

Ive already removed the App.. So hoping that will do it... But my one question is if there is a "call home" from the wifi unit in the RT -- just for firmware updates... My thought is to figure out RT's IP address from emails ect-- and just put a block in my router for that IP...

I had a hair dryer that the warning label said do not use in shower
to have that warning someone must have done it

You also know that someone got smoked in the bathtub... "Hey-- it just said not to use in the shower-- im taking a bath"...

Darwin does his work...

You know, I have this thing in(side) my house called a gas fireplace. And.......it came with a remote control. The remote control link is infrared between it and the fireplace. It seems to work just fine (when all the batteries are charged....).

And yes, I understand the subtleties of arguments about the gas fireplace being "permanently" installed vs "portable" like a grill is. And, the infrared link being "proprietary" vs WiFi being "open", due to the vast number of different WiFi hardware vendors. I think those points can be argued a couple of different ways, which I'm not going to engage in. Different people need/want different things, I get it.

In reading back through parts this thread, a thought occurred to me that I hadn't considered before. That is (in contrast to my gas fireplace example above) about a year and a half ago, we were all fighting the WiFi/software update problem. I guess if I were in RT's shoes and I did such a poor job on the WiFi, I'd probably embrace the idea of removing the "remote start" capability too. Again, to limit liability.

Seems to me though, that stating "they made us remove it" is a bit disingenuous. I don't think I've seen anywhere where it's been conclusively stated who "they" are and any official written directive stating that RT Must/Shall remove that feature, under the same penalty as that for removing tags off of mattresses.

If someone were to be injured or killed because of a fire and a lawsuit filed, RT would likely be torn to shreds when the plaintiff's attorney brought up the history of the WiFi problems (and the capability of "remote start" over said "WiFi", warts and all).

Personally, I don't have a dog in this hunt. My grill lives in the garage and I roll it out to the driveway when I want to start a cook. That's when I turn it on locally. WiFi/remote starting (or lack thereof) doesn't affect me or my needs.

You also know that someone got smoked in the bathtub... "Hey-- it just said not to use in the shower-- im taking a bath"...

Darwin does his work...
Oddly enough, Unless you use an extension chord to some other outlet in a nearby room or hallway outlet that is close to the bathroom.. by Law, the outlets IN the bathroom are all GFI styled, which means you literally CAN'T electrocute yourself when anything is plugged in to that GFI near the bathtub/shower. At most you get a small nip, but the GFI outlet will trip preventing the current to get to you. So the "label" on the dryer is moot, or at the most redundant. :p

Oddly enough, Unless you use an extension chord to some other outlet in a nearby room or hallway outlet that is close to the bathroom.. by Law, the outlets IN the bathroom are all GFI styled, which means you literally CAN'T electrocute yourself when anything is plugged in to that GFI near the bathtub/shower. At most you get a small nip, but the GFI outlet will trip preventing the current to get to you. So the "label" on the dryer is moot, or at the most redundant. :p
But using the work around to replace the GFI with a standard outlet, because you can or worse don’t know any better 🤔

So, you believe that a GFCI outlet will ALWAYS work perfectly? Over the years, I have replaced several that did not.

Believing everything a manufacturer—or, the Internet—tells you is just as dangerous as believing everything the government tells you!

So not sure why some think using a different app is dangerous. It has the same functionality as the recteq app. On off temp adjust. Remember its been in playvfor 15 years before this happened, so it took 15 years before someone was worried about this? I don't think so. Oh by the way I can still turn my furnace on remotely, a/c units my stove in my house, my laundry machines, my car my tv, lights in my house open my garage door and the list goes on.so...

So, you believe that a GFCI outlet will ALWAYS work perfectly? Over the years, I have replaced several that did not.

Believing everything a manufacturer—or, the Internet—tells you is just as dangerous as believing everything the government tells you!
"Believing everything a manufacturer—or, the Internet—tells you is just as dangerous as believing everything the government tells you! "... 😆

Yes , several people have been trying to make this point in here recently *

How did you jump (extremely reach) to that conclusion? No where, in any sensible way, or having reading comprehension did I say, elude too, or even come remotely close to insinuating, that believe anything will always work 100% of the time. :rolleyes:
Seriously, that is just un-called for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back