Stampede Smoke flavor

I came across the same thing on my first couple cooks. I bought a smoke tube from amazon, I used 50/50 pellet/wood chips cherry flavor. I set my BFG at 225 to start at 4% feed (I use a 3/1 ratio of Lumber Jack 100% hardwood Pecan and Treager 100% hardwood cherry)
I start my cooks at low temperature usually because it's really hard to bring temperature back down, at least from my experiences.

From my experience i can tell you smoke tub will help to gain more smoke flavor.
Hope this helps!

Carlos

My last cook I tried a tube and it was better I believe I need better pellets. Everyone recommended lumber jack pellets but I cant find them in west texas.

Two things have helped me the most: always starting the cook on LOW extreme smoke for the first 30-90 minutes depending on the cook type, and using a Bold pellet blend of mesquite and hickory (I mix in to this blend with fruit wood for lighter meats or longer cooks - too much mesquite gets bitter, but having a little mesquite in the mix gives some more smoke bite). I have a pellet maze and can't tell a big difference from that yet.

I just found that out yesterday actually. Do the lumber jack pellets make a difference in your opinion?
I'll be honest, I'm a first timer using pellet smoker... I read a lot about pellets and asked friends and that's what they suggested, I think I'm OK with it so far. I'll probably experiment again in a near future but just with a few pounds, not the whole bag.
I don't like blends, I like to stick to two flavors for the most part.

I'll be honest, I'm a first timer using pellet smoker... I read a lot about pellets and asked friends and that's what they suggested, I think I'm OK with it so far. I'll probably experiment again in a near future but just with a few pounds, not the whole bag.
I don't like blends, I like to stick to two flavors for the most part.

Yeah that makes since. I was just expecting more wood flavor from a pellet grill. I love it but I honestly got more smoke flavor from my electric brinkman smoker

Yeah that makes since. I was just expecting more wood flavor from a pellet grill. I love it but I honestly got more smoke flavor from my electric brinkman smoker
Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with rib tips form spare rib. I have a few in my freezer!!
I'll close one of the vents and again use the smoke tube with cherry pellet/chips to try to get a nice smoke rings and get more smoke flavor... I'll be posting some pictures!

Does it matter where you place the smoke tube as far as getting more smoke on to the meat?

First cook I put it on the right (grease bucket side) and it produced smoke for a few hours and burn all the pellets. Next time I used it I placed it in the front of the grill and couldn't keep it lit. Was thinking that in front it would allow the smoke to cross over the meat and flow out the back vents (I have 590). Am I wasting my time and should just place it where it gets enough air to keep smoking?

Hi All Yesterday I use a 12"smoke tube, with Hickory pellets I didn't see a BIG difference in the smoke flavor in my brisket?
My temps were 225 most of time. The flat was on for 10 hrs.
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20200729_073039053.jpg
    IMG_20200729_073039053.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 89
  • Woods to cook with.jpg
    Woods to cook with.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 86
Hi All Yesterday I use a 12"smoke tube, with Hickory pellets I didn't see a BIG difference in the smoke flavor in my brisket?
My temps were 225 most of time. The flat was on for 10 hrs.
Thanks Dan
They look good. Can you do me a favor and measure the width and length of the opening in one of your lid vents? Thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back