Tonight's cook, what's yours?

Did a turkey meatloaf in the rain yesterday For my second cook. It was awesome. Was worried about the rain, but worked like a champ. Doing a pork picnic tomorrow and it calls for u guessed it..rain. Forgot my after picture. Lol

Attachments

• 511A9099-E5FE-40E0-8095-D047F0930E41.jpeg
    511A9099-E5FE-40E0-8095-D047F0930E41.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 64
Have a bag of rabbits sitting in the fridge thawing out for tonight. Wife is outta town and she refuses to eat bunnies so I might as well cook them for myself.

Thinking of drizzling some olive oil and rubbing them with some spicy wing rub I have.

Have a bag of rabbits sitting in the fridge thawing out for tonight. Wife is outta town and she refuses to eat bunnies so I might as well cook them for myself.

Thinking of drizzling some olive oil and rubbing them with some spicy wing rub I have.
Man, that ought to be good. Share results with us when you're done!

Well, it wasn't everything I hoped it'd be.

Olive oiled and rubbed. Threw them on low smoke...

Wr3VSC3l.jpg

Mowed the yard and admired my work. Again, wife is gone, so without adult supervision, bourbon and cigar is an acceptable Thursday night activity ;) ...

parjwCEl.jpg

At the three hour mark, the internal temp of the larger hindquarters was 150. I pulled the little bunny backstraps at that point...

wxnSESkl.jpg

Not bad. Should have filletted the silver skin off of them though.

I got hungry and impatient so I bumped it up to 225 for an additional half hour to hit internal temp of 160...

dzGvwiMl.jpg

I had spritzed them a few times with the magic BBQ juice, so they weren't at all dry. The meat had the consistency and mouth feel of beef liver, which doesn't bother me. The worst part was the intramuscular silver skin.

Typically, I brown bunnies in a skillet, then toss in a baking dish, cover with beefy mushroom, cream of mushroom soup, and a packet of brown gravy mix. Then bake a couple hours at 375. That temp renders out all the silverskin and the soup keeps it all from getting dry. I will do that tonight with the leftovers and see what happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back