Blackstone Griddle

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I know many of you reference Blackstone griddles. I'm thinking of getting one. Any recommendations?

I have natural gas outside which I would like to use. Does it come with a conversion kit?

Any recommended size? Space is not an issue.

Thank you for any advice.

This is the one I have.. 30" Lowes

I like the hood as it keeps things toasty & the wind out but I have to admit the griddle warped real bad under high heat like 1" but did come back after cool down.

The hood is rusting as well as the sides surrounding the burners already and I just got it last July and keep it covered. The paint is not suited for high heat.

You can get a natural gas conversion for most of the Blackstones I believe but I would verify if you decide on a particular model. I thought some of the pro models did not have kits. I did convert mine so I know it can be done on this model. NG is just easier.

If I were in the market I would be looking for something stainless even if it meant more $$. This one is quickly showing age but it works amazing so offsets it a bit. Gets about a hot as anything you could ever want.

Last edited:
I have the OG 36” stainless model, and it has been great. However, I’m not sure that they even make it anymore. I don’t go to the Blackstone site often, but when I do it always shows as sold out. Assuming money was not an object, this 28” combo is probably the one I would get today. Hefty price tag though, $1,500. My 36” SS was a gift from my wife so I don’t know the original price for sure, but I think she paid $600 for it 4, perhaps 5 years ago.

I have the Blackstone 28" Proseries. If I was to do it again I would get a 36" one. Making breakfasts with pancakes, sausage, bacon and eggs I run out of room in a hurry and have to cook all of one item and then try to keep it warm. I would also recommend 3 burners minimum so you can have more different temp zones.

The other thing I would do if I could go back is save up more money and get either a used one from a restaurant or a new industrial one. A lot of the restaurant ones are already set up for natural gas too. The steel is so thin on the Blackstone that you lose a lot of heat in the surface when putting anything on. To do smash burgers I either have to have it so hot that the first side burns fast but then it still sears the second side or get a good sear on the first side and either just cook but not sear the second side or sear it in a different spot. I would have probably went with a 1/2" thick flat top grill if I was to do it again.

I have the Blackstone 28" Proseries. If I was to do it again I would get a 36" one. Making breakfasts with pancakes, sausage, bacon and eggs I run out of room in a hurry and have to cook all of one item and then try to keep it warm. I would also recommend 3 burners minimum so you can have more different temp zones.

The other thing I would do if I could go back is save up more money and get either a used one from a restaurant or a new industrial one. A lot of the restaurant ones are already set up for natural gas too. The steel is so thin on the Blackstone that you lose a lot of heat in the surface when putting anything on. To do smash burgers I either have to have it so hot that the first side burns fast but then it still sears the second side or get a good sear on the first side and either just cook but not sear the second side or sear it in a different spot. I would have probably went with a 1/2" thick flat top grill if I was to do it again.
I appreciate all this information very much. Everyone has very good suggestions.

I have the 36” Blackstone, and I’m glad I didn’t get the smaller one. There is a boat load of room on these flat tops. Both The Waltwins and Gallery-backyard BBQ have done some reviews on the new Pit Boss flattop. Looks real nice.
My flattop and RT 700 make a killer combo.

I have this one, My Blackstone, I think it is a 28". Plenty of room as it is just my wife and I. I tried to get the one that @sdynak has, but was not in stock. A WARNING, I did buy one from Walmart, put it together and it was screwed up, so took it back, sucked it up and went to Ace. I would get a good quality one, they are not all the same.
That being said, I love mine, I cook on it 3-4 times a week, breakfast, Hibachi, fish, burgers, steak, chicken. It really rounds out what I need. I have the 590, Bullseye and the Blackstone. They all serve a purpose and gives me tons of options!

I have had my 28" ProSeries for a little over two years now and use it all of the time. For a family of 5, I have really only ran out of room a few times, but it wasn't a big deal. I really like the lid on it and the 36" wasn't available at the time I got this one. The 36" with both side shelves would have made my patio pretty tight to get around with all of my other stuff. Once you decide on the size needed, you won't regret getting one. By far, it's my most used outdoor appliance and the most fun to experiment with.

I have a 36" ProSeries that I bought on clearance from Walmart. The grill itself feels pretty flimsy/cheap compared to every other grill I own, but the flat top works well. I do question the longevity and build quality of Blackstone griddles, but since no food actually makes direct contact with burners, as long as you keep it covered and well seasoned, it'll probably last several years. Considering what I paid for it, I think it was well worth the money, but if I was paying regular price, I would probably consider a higher end griddle like the Camp Chef or Grilla Primate.

That's a great price on the bundle. I'm leaning towards the 36 inch after reading reviews and comments from others who own it.

It seems like the majority of people love the Blackstone but I'm concerned about the rust issues.
That is certainly a valid concern. Having only owned the SS model, I’m at a loss to make a recommendation on that.

That's a great price on the bundle. I'm leaning towards the 36 inch after reading reviews and comments from others who own it.

It seems like the majority of people love the Blackstone but I'm concerned about the rust issues.
I noticed a few rust spots on the legs and lip under griddle I just hit the spots with some rustolum spray paint and that was that.
My griddle has been out side for a year and a half uncovered.
No other issues so far.

I have more information in case anyone is interested in the Blackstone griddles. I called Blackstone and asked the questions. Here is what I was told. I'm was asking specifically about a 36" grill. This info may not apply to other sized griddles.

All griddles except those with an air-fryer can be converted to natural gas using a gas conversion kit. Unfortunately, the 36" Bundle which is on sale right now has the air-fryer so gas is not an option. Propane is the only choice as gas does not have enough pressure to heat up the air fryer.

The only other option for a 36" Blackstone with a lid and cabinet is the ProSeries. The only reason it is called a ProSeries is that it looks different. Everything about how it works is the same as the other grills with 4 burners. I like the look of this one personally.

https://blackstoneproducts.com/prod..._plhd5Ks9L054RhVBSK6yCpMpboEw2EkaAlSeEALw_wcB

Walmart has it also
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blacksto...6-Griddle-Cooking-Station-with-Hood/416512969

Blackstone will not be selling this on their website. Only Walmart carries this product. I was told by the Blackstone rep that this model has been updated and is not in stores to date. It should be there soon. The rep said until it hits the stores, as it is a Walmart exclusive product, Blackstone Inc. will not know the cost. only Walmart will be selling it.

I asked them how I would be able to tell the difference between the new ProSeries and the old ProSeries. I was told the new one is dark gray and the current one is light gray.

The 36" ProSeries (Link above) is $497. I hunted around on an Inventory Finder website and it looks like the new one is $597 (but don't quote me).

I also asked about the rust issue. She said the rust happens when the griddle is not used as much or as she said (not me) not taken care of properly. She said there is a video explaining rust and how to remove it on their website. She said it's easy.

For now I leaning towards the updated 36" ProSeries if I can ever get it. I'll be checking Walmart's website daily. Most of their larger griddles are out of stock. It's kind of a bummer that they have the exclusive on this.

You can check out the updated griddle on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CZIdYBqAgTD/

Just to clarify about the rust I commented on mine is not the griddle.. it is the hood and the sides that wrap around the burner. Mine was new in July and rusting as the paint does not hold up to the heat. It is always covered and taken care of. It's home is under a deck & stairs and somewhat protected.

If they have not improved the paint system I would expect the hood to start rusting pretty quickly if you plan to use any kind of heat with it closed.

It works very well though no issues with heat on NG. Maybe a little too good. I do plan on repainting once spring comes around. Hope it is not an annual exercise and I can do a better job than Blackstone :).

@sdynak I'm hoping that something they improved in the updated unit.

Really not sure what other options there are outside of spending a crazy amount of $.. I'm ok with a little paint and elbow grease. It really works incredible so don't that the rust bother you. Just know you might need to do the same.

I really was not expecting it but the heat is so good it just burns it off. The hood is very thin on mine as well so the rust needs to be taken care of quickly otherwise it will rot through in no time.

Really not sure what other options there are outside of spending a crazy amount of $.. I'm ok with a little paint and elbow grease. It really works incredible so don't that the rust bother you. Just know you might need to do the same.

I really was not expecting it but the heat is so good it just burns it off. The hood is very thin on mine as well so the rust needs to be taken care of quickly otherwise it will rot through in no time.
The girl I talked to at Blackstone told me that she prefers the models without hoods. Maybe that's why 😉.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back